collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): M.sainz12 you get your hat from Stephen yet?! lol
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:42 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): For a full length cargo rack?
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:18 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a good place to get a net for the roof that reaches front to back of the x?
    November 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a place to buy a net for the top of the x that reaches front to back?
    November 27, 2017, 12:07:30 PM
  • m.sainz12: anyone want a small palo verde tree?
    November 25, 2017, 06:11:27 AM
  • DBAX: Happy Thanksgiving maddafaqqas
    November 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM

Author Topic: GPS App Android Suggestions  (Read 533 times)

Offline XTiki

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
GPS App Android Suggestions
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
Anybody have suggestions for a GPS Nav / Mapping App for Android?  If you are working with one and have had good experiences, please drop a reply. 

There are so many out there and I downloaded 2 of them, Sygic and CoPilot.  Curious what other people are using.  I searched a little around the website and didn't find anything. 
3" lift, Radflo's, OME Springs, Maxgear Armor Steel Rear Bumper

Offline 14Frontier

• Supporting Member
  • D
Re: GPS App Android Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
For offline maps i use OSMand. I have not tried any advance features. for routes it used to require a 3rd party plugin, idk about now.
14 Frontier pro4x CC

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »
Google Earth and if you are willing to shell out the money to keep lots of maps look at Avenza. There is a free version of it, but you are limited to the amount of maps it stores.
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
I tried and liked US Topo Maps Pro, but it deleted my waypoints when I upgraded to the paid for version.

Other than that, it was awesome and has a route tracer and download offline maps to use without internet.

Import several formats of waypoints, etc.

I'm sure there's some that are better, and maybe I don't know enough about gps, but I was able to use it for what I wanted and I had tried another program and I couldn't even get a waypoint programmed. lol

Offline XTiki

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
Avenza!  Thanks guys.  A Forestry guy was showing me Avenza out near Seven Springs.  I couldn't remember the name.  I'll look at the other ones too.
3" lift, Radflo's, OME Springs, Maxgear Armor Steel Rear Bumper

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:14:50 AM »
I've been using  Backcounty Navigator for many years now and have been very happy with it.  They are constantly pushing updates. When planning a trip, I typically use Google Maps/Earth to plot things out and export to KML format for the tracks, then import the tracks into Backcounty Navigator.  Other times, i'll pull KML's off trip reports I find, especially Hike Arizona or Trail Damage (UT and CO).

It has many maps type available for free and some that are paid.  I usually download both a topo and arial views of the area I'm planning on going to.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator.license&hl=en

It's $12 for the main app, but I've found it to be well worth the investment.  What I really like is I can create downloaded areas into separate map databases and then copy off those DB's for later use without the need to re-download again. You can also create separate waypoint/track databases so you can manage your trips better.

I've also Avenza maps from time to time as well.

Offline Thatsgr8 (Scott)

• Scott May
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
So I don't use any Hemorrhoid (Android) products.  hahaha  What about iPhone apps for GPS?  I am very new to 4 wheeling and know very little about what GPS to use or buy.  I have searched on the App Store and found a bunch of apps that look like they would help.  How do these apps work when they cannot communicate with cell towers to triangulate location.  My thinking is if they can't communicate, they can't get an accurate location because they do not have GPS sat capabilities.  What features should I look for in a GPS handheld?  ALL help is appreciated. 
You can't fix stupid

Offline 14Frontier

• Supporting Member
  • D
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
Scott,
All the smartphones have gps recievers that do not need cell service, cell cervice just give a more accurate position.

OsmAnd has downloadable OFFLInE maps including topo. However the apple version is missing some features.

If you know wherr you are going you can download google maps, of an area. It just needs massive storage space.
14 Frontier pro4x CC

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
So I don't use any Hemorrhoid (Android) products.  hahaha  What about iPhone apps for GPS?  I am very new to 4 wheeling and know very little about what GPS to use or buy.  I have searched on the App Store and found a bunch of apps that look like they would help.  How do these apps work when they cannot communicate with cell towers to triangulate location.  My thinking is if they can't communicate, they can't get an accurate location because they do not have GPS sat capabilities.  What features should I look for in a GPS handheld?  ALL help is appreciated. 

I use Gaia maps on ipads with a garmin reciever.
Download maps then gps takes over.

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.