Arizona All Nissan Club

General Discussion => How To / DIY => Topic started by: Clifford3200 on January 12, 2018, 06:54:02 PM

Title: 2007 Catalytic Converter Replacement Front Driver
Post by: Clifford3200 on January 12, 2018, 06:54:02 PM
First off, I got a lot of help from this post on thenewx: TheNewX Post (

The new part: Walker Exhaust Part Page ( and Amazon Part Page (

It didn't come with any hardware so I reused some bolts from the original cat, and only had to get two new bolts to thread onto the opposite end (M10-1.50)

Pulling the Bad Cat Out:
With help from the post, I put aside my concerns about breaking the bolts that hold on the heat shield. I removed the lower one from under the truck, and it broke. The top two I removed from crawling down through the engine bay. The one towards the front of the truck snapped, but the back one did not, so I was able to reattach the heat shield after the repair.

In order to fully drop the cat, I had to remove the two studs from the back side and the lowest stud from the front side. The only thing holding the cat up was the O2 sensor. We unplugged the sensor before removing it from the cat so that we could test it in the new one due to the reviews for this cat on amazon. Because of those same reviews we are using two gaskets on the one side.

I used the two bolt method, described in the post, to remove the remaining studs from the old Catalytic converter.

Putting in the New One:
After putting the O2 Sensor back in I broke down. In order to get the old cat out we had to remove the bottom stud, but on the new cat the studs were tac welded on so I couldn't remove them. I didn't have near the amount of strength necessary to move the pipe attached to the second Catalytic Converter. Pax (Eric) came over and was able to pry it far enough for me to get the cat up against it.

Once it was in place it took a bit of shifting to get the pipe completely in the cat. At that point, it was just tightening everything back up. On the original cat, the holes are threaded but on the new cat they are bare. In order to bolt them up I had to use the old studs, but the piece that would have screwed into the old cat was a different thread so we ran to the local hardware store and picked up two nuts (M10-1.5)

When I went to re-attach the heat shield I also pulled the wires up for the O2 Sensor.

With everything reassembled and in place I still have an exhaust leak at the front of the Cat because the front nut that faces to the front was impossible for me to tighten fully. But even then, itís not shutting off, and it didnít throw any codes for a while.

I did throw a couple codes eventually, all of them pertaining to the O2 and it has a hard time picking up at highway speeds.

[here] (