collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Today at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Today at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Yesterday at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: WhiteX 2003 Xterra 4x4 Conversion  (Read 1819 times)

Offline WhiteX

• Noob
WhiteX 2003 Xterra 4x4 Conversion
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:04:11 PM »
In the summer of 06 I bought my Xterra from Power Nissan.  I had always liked the way they looked and decided to take the plunge.  It was my first car.

This is what she looked like when I bought her and shortly after.

Soon afterwards my brother picked a 1987 4runner up and it later became this

I still loved my Xterra and wanted make it better (because my brother's truck could do anything) so I did a PML and rocked that for a while.  

The Xterra was great for the trips that we were taking.  But we started to do more and more backroad/ 4x4 traveling.  So I got a great deal on my own 4runner.  Which has since become this...and more.

As the 4runner grew into a rock crawler, I was left with wanting a more tame 4x4 and it happened that a guy at work was in the market for a Frontier.  I told him I was thinking of selling the X. He took a look and was set on buying it.  I told him I wanted to check out some 4x4 Xterras and when I found one I liked, he would get the X.  The problem was, I could not find one and I called the deal off.  
What I did find out was that my Xterra was well cared for and I knew what I had.  Why get something else?  
So the gears started turning (they never stop, much to my wife's chagrin). Quite some research later I came to a rather insane (to most) revelation.  Why not make my Xterra the 4x4 I was looking for?

When we SASed my brother's 4runner and I took the wheels and tires (31'' ATs).

I set out to find the parts.  I will say that the hardest part of this entire process is getting the parts.  Simply put, there really no Xterras or Frontiers in boneyards.  Over a period of a few months I picked up the parts needed to do the conversion.  The end result is this:

In this thread I will go over the details of how I did this in case anyone (as crazy as me) wants to do this or is just curious if it can be done.  Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and the club!

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
Re: WhiteX 2003 Xterra 4x4 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
I'm so stoked over this thread! ;D

I've been teetering on doing something like this to my d22 Frontier for years. Can't wait to see the story on what happened along the way with this thing.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
very nice, interested to see the parts list. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline WhiteX

• Noob
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »
Well...
It's coming up on 2 years of driving my 4x4 converted Xterra and it has been great.  Looking forward to a few more. 

Anyway, I'm not the greatest at updating/ checking things on the internet and I realized I never put anymore details about the conversion process.  So, I will be adding all of the details in case anyone is curious about what I had to get and do convert my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. 

Please also feel free to pm me with any questions.  I know that when I did this there were only a few resources out there.  If anyone needs help, just let me know.

Joe

Offline WhiteX

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »
Ok,
I will admit that this project started out more as a "could I really do this?" type of thing and it is certainly not a project for everyone.  I also had sentimental reasons for wanting to keep my Xterra.  Lastly, I knew what I had as a vehicle.  However, I have heard these exact reasons- or similar ones on every thread/blog/website that I searched. 
I searched many threads on many Xterra or Nissan sites.  Most of them asked if this conversion was possible and many were met with this answer- "Anything can be done with enough money.  Trade it in and get a 4x4." 
I then came across a website called The Orange Thingy Express where a gentleman chronicled his Frontier's conversion from a Desert Runner to full 4x4.  He answered quite a few of my questions, namely, that it could be done and it was actually on the simple end of the spectrum.
There are a few basic things that make this possible.  All Xterras are built on the D22 platform.  They all have the same frames and brackets.  Nissan simply left off all of the parts that make the vehicle 4x4.  There are a few other minor differences, which I will discuss later on, but none that prevent the conversion.  They also use the same transmissions.  This allows for the use of the same Transmission Control Computers and all use the same Engines (I4 and V6, respectively).  I will get into more detail on which ones are which later.  Lastly, the gearing is the same between 4x2 and 4x4.  All of this information can bee found on the sticker inside the driver side door B pillar.

So I set out to find all of the parts that Nissan Deleted from my poor 2 wheel drive Xterra.   

Here is a list of major parts and prices:
1.  Spindle and Hubs- $75.00 (per side)
2.  T-case (with shifter, linkage, and interior parts)- $150.00
3.  Front diff- $125.00
4.  Transmission (with crossmember)- $600.00
5.  Warn Hubs- $200.00
6.  Driveshaft- $75
7.  Miscellaneous (bolts, etc)- ~$80

Total: 1380

More to come later.  More Pics as well.  Thanks for reading.

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.