collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Today at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Today at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Yesterday at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Seafoam - 2nd Gen Photos  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
Seafoam - 2nd Gen Photos
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
Standard disclaimers apply. The forum and individuals who post therein these threads claim no liability to damages and make no warranty or validity of information found within. Work on your vehicles at your own risk.

One of the easiest maintenance tasks you can do for your X is run Seafoam through it to clean it out.

What is Seafoam? We're not talking about the foamy stuff that forms at beaches, no what we're dealing with is

This stuff can usually be picked up at your local autoparts store usually for less than $10. Here's a description: Link

This stuff is basically a very high grade lubricant oil that will stabilize fuel and remove unwanted build up from other mechanical components. Adding this to a few components inside your engine will make clean out the fuel and oil system and keep your vehicle running strong and efficient. I gained an instant 3MPG the first time I ran this through my engine just to give an example.

The technique I use is splitting the can of Seafoam into thirds and applying one third to:
  • Brake Booster Line
  • Fuel Tank
  • Crank Case

A general warning: It's recommended that if you add this to your crankcase that you do it within about 100 miles of an oil change. It will most likely knock some gunk around and you'll want that emptied out of the system relatively soon so it doesn't redeposit itself.

The part that typically confuses most people is applying Seafoam to the brake booster line. There are other vacuum lines which may work just as well as the brake booster, but I've always used the brake booster as that seems to be the standard among most vehicles.

First off the brake booster line is the one that comes out from the drum on the driver's side of the vehicle:

With the vehicle running simply take a pair of pliers and pull the vacuum line away from the coupler. It may be on there pretty tight even after pulling back the clamp. Just keep twisting it back and forth and you may also find it easier to use something blunt on the end of the hose to push it off the coupler. The engine will immediately start idling rough. This is normal and it shouldn't actually die.
The vacuum line will have obvious suction on it. What I did was pour some of the Seafoam into a disposable cup and slowly feed it to the line.

At this point you may get a considerable amount of white smoke billowing from your exhaust. This is also normal. If your engine starts sputtering too much just ease off of how much Seafoam you're feeding it for a moment and then continue.

Once it's taken a third of your can of Seafoam, go ahead and reconnect the vacuum line and everything will quickly return to normal.

The other two areas are exceptionally straight forward. While you're at a gas station filling up your tank go ahead and add a third of the can to the tank before pumping gas into it.

And for the crank case you can add it directly to the oil reservoir. (As before it's a good idea to do this when you've got a oil change already scheduled so it doesn't go more than 50-100 miles for best results)

That's all there is to it. The inside of your engine will be cleaner, mechanical parts will turn better, fuel injectors will do their job with less impedance, your truck will love you more, and it cost you less than $10.

Good luck! ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:58:04 AM by Rev »

Offline Slapshotking09

• Board of Directors
Re: Seafoam - 2nd Gen Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
I did this a few months ago. HUGE cloud came out the exhaust

Offline remo1991(Brent)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »
I run a can every time in come back from Mexico. I put some in the oil just before I change it about 500 miles before. Great stuff.
T-swap / Snorkel

xterra06

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
WOW... that is all i have to say... i did my X and i smoked hard core for like 6 min and just a little smoke for like 10 min... it was crazy... smell sucks but truck runs better. going to do this again next oil change

Offline coatimundi01

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
Nice write up! I gotta try this soon...
Wishin' I was fishin'...

Offline mjepps72

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Good stuff, been using this for years on all kinds of motors.
Mike
2004 Xterra XE 2WD
Mesa, AZ