collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Stoic V I have sent you a few PM, I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Yesterday at 09:50:19 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): 98% sure I'll be doing Crown King
    Yesterday at 06:55:40 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): @Stephen well AZXC does their yearly sedona run but wont be till April.
    Yesterday at 05:48:10 PM
  • Stephen: I have never run any trails in Sedona since I've lived here...need to fix that asap
    Yesterday at 12:55:37 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Crown King Next Saturday!
    Yesterday at 10:36:13 AM
  • Stephen: Folks, running Sedona next Saturday, then going to the muerte festival later that evening. Going up with a jeep buddy...family friendly
    October 21, 2017, 07:03:03 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    October 20, 2017, 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    October 20, 2017, 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM

Author Topic: Old Guy in Phoenix  (Read 4015 times)

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
Old Guy in Phoenix
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
I'm an old guy in the sense that I was a member of AZXC "back in the day", like 2001 - 2004, not an old guy like... well an old guy.
I fell off the radar back in 2004 after getting married and having a kid, which consumed a lot of my free time, so I wasn't making it out very often.

About a year and a half ago, the X moved from my primary to my secondary vehicle after I picked up a Mustang convertible, but about a month ago I sold my 2001 SE with 170K+ miles because it was going to be too expensive to have 3 vehicles and insure a 16 year old driver at the same time.  I took it up to Ouray for 3 days it give it a farewell and remembered just how much I loved wheeling.

So here I sit without an off-roader, thinking about all the places I can't take a mustang.  I've decided that the Mustang must go and I need to pick up a truck again.

My first thought was to look at a Wrangler so I can have my truck and a convertible at the same time, but after reacquainting myself with the cost of an Unlimited Rubicon that I can rely on as my daily driver, I've thrown that idea out the window.

So now I'm back looking at the X again, probably a 2011 or so Pro-4X. Since I've been out of the Xterra scene for a while, I wanted to get some feedback on a few things.
First big question is have they improved the A/C since 2001?  Ever since it was new, it always really struggled with those 105+ degree days, even after a recharge.   This was the first thing my wife asked when I said I was considering a new X, does it have good A/C?

I might consider a S over a Pro-4X and put in lockers later.  Does the S come with any skid plates?  My 01 SE had skid plate covering the oil filter area as well as one protecting the gas tank.  Do the newer X's have  these or does it only come with the Off-Road or Pro-4x trim level?  I got the impression that it was only the off-road/pro-4x.

I previously had Bilstein 5100's early on, which were great and then put in Rancho 9000's because of the allure of the adjustable shocks, but came to realize that I found the bilstein 5100's to be a much better ride.  Are these only coming with the off-road/pro-4x stock?

I've seen that the off-road/Pro-4x trim gives you an extra .5" lift over the X/S.  How is this achieved? Does it have upgraded torsion bars that are cranked up a bit?

For anyone that owned a Gen 1 and a Gen 2, do you like your Gen 2 better? Do you feel the Gen 1's had any advantages over the Gen 2's?

Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide.

Andy

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Old Guy in Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Hey, welcome back to the club.  I will answer the questions I can.  The S 4x4 model comes with a rad skid only.  The remaining skids are on the off road model only.  However I will also say that they will not protect you from a whole lot.  I thought the stock shocks on both were bilstein, but cant remember for sure and I would not recommend rancho for their ride.  I will say the AC on the newer model is much improved, as is power with the 4.0 engine.  Are you looking at buy new or used?  My problem was I couldn't find an offroad or pro 4x used, but maybe if i had looked longer I would have been able to.  Also, they have lower gear ratio as well as e locker on the pro 4x, kinda wish i had that.     
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:22:43 PM »
I'm looking at used, probably a 2011 with under 50K miles.  My inclination is to go with the Pro-4X.  If I can get it all stock then I don't have to go though the separate purchase approval from my wife for all of the things I'd want to do to it to get up to what a pro-4x gives me.

The skids I had on the old X seemed to be fine for the abuse I did give it.  Grant it, there were dents in those stock skids, but they held up. I did add sliders later on which came in handy on a couple occasions, so I'd probably want to add those eventually.

Regarding finding a used Pro-4X, I can be a little obsessive about locating the right vehicle.  I spent 3 months looking for just the right Mustang.  I'd be checking auto-trader, cars.com, ebay and craigslist for listings all over the country almost nightly, but ended up finding the right one in town.  If I can find the right one at the right price, I'd take a couple days off and drive it back. If you know of one for sale....  :)

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:16:18 AM »
Actually, funny you should say that.  One of our members was considering selling his, though he may have decided not to.  Thread here http://www.azxterraclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1396.0  You can also post a WTB in the buy/sell section, who knows maybe someone is looking to get into a Mustang.
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »
I saw that post before and considered it, but I think I want to find something with less miles.

Offline sunny1881

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
AC is definetely better in 2nd gen. Agree, bilstein is by far better than Rancho, Off-Road/Pro4-X models are all Bilstein, S model is Nissan suspension.

Higher lift on Pro4x is just the suspension alone over standard nissan suspension, there is no torsion bars on the 2nd gen. Front suspension is UCA's, LCA's with coilovers and sway bar. Rear suspension is leaf springs, shocks and sway bar.

If you are patient and take your time like you said, then for sure wait for a Pro4x to pop up before you buy a S model. I had a S model and spent a lot of money modding it to just basically be a better Pro4x model. Pro4x does have all skids granted they are weak but it sounds serviceable for your needs, S model only has Rad skid, Pro4x has stronger rear axle and of course E-locker.

I currently have 1st gen Frontier Wheeler and had a 2nd Gen X wheeler/dd. The 2nd gen motor 4.0 definetely has more power, better AC and on and on.

Hope this helps some, any other questions post up and congrats on getting back into a X!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:01:38 PM by sunny1881 »

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll update if I take the plunge again!

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
I just thought of another question.  When I first started to wheel my X back in 2001, myself and others were running up against problems with the tie rod ends and the steering system in general constantly getting loose or bent.  The solution for me was the Calmini replacement steering system, which has been rock solid ever since.

Do the second gen's have any issues with the steering system?  I didn't see any replacement's on the Calmini website so I assume that things are better this time around.  Can anyone comment on this?

Offline Slapshotking09

• Board of Directors
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
Steering system is fine. Only thing with the second gens is the SMOD. It's only in automatics from I think 05-09. Don't quote me on that as I have a manual.

Offline XID

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
I finally found a great deal on an X and picked up a 2013 Pro-4X a couple days ago.  I'm going to try to get back into the club and get out more often than before.  Hopefully I'll see some of you at a meeting or a trail run.

Offline sunny1881

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
Cool, hopefully see you and new X on the trails soon.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
Welcome back to the club, you'll have to join us for a meeting soon. 
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline rebeccaanderson009

• Noob
    • Sell Used Cars Online For Cash
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »

I saw that post before and considered it, but I think I want to find something with less miles.

Offline Ghostrider

• Supporting Member
  • Red Rock Spirit
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
Welcome back!

I am a o7 S and it has been just fine with 148K on the motor.  Lining up for new Frontier and the DA Dealers are driving me crazy.

Welcome back and I think the Club has since improved from the early days and Hammer is responsible for most of the improvements and the better fun atmosphere.
Mark Costa

Offline DBAX

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
Welcome back XID. (last post 1-18-14)

Sorry to do this here, I've edited my thoughts three times now about this, but I take exception to the "the Club has since improved from the early days" statement. I don't know Ghostrider, certainly don't remember him from "the early days" either. AZXC for years was one of if not the most active Xterra Clubs nationwide. Members wheeling w/ each other every week and attending monthly Xcursions religiously, maintaining trails, and helping build each others trucks. Annual events like Fat Tire, GONE, even the Chili cook off were born of that time. There were multi-state carvans to wheel, with many members multiple times, lasting friendships continue from those days. From 1999-2005 or 06 everything was awesome, and then the club began to implode. Glad admin has righted the ship recently, and everyone's having fun again, but don't think "the early days" were bad, you weren't there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:40:18 PM by DBAX »
I got your "Jeep thing", now it burns when I pee..

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.