collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Yesterday at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Yesterday at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Destructive Mining - My English Research Paper  (Read 1465 times)

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
Destructive Mining - My English Research Paper
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »
Man, this is killing me, this English class.  ::)

I'm trying to make as painless as possible by picking an interesting... and important topic for this research paper: Destructive mining techniques should stop and responsible mining practices should be employed. Researching this topic could actually be practical because it relates to our beliefs of "tread lightly" and "leave no trace". I could actually learn something!!!  :o

I am interested in these situations:
Carlota mine
Resolution Copper Company
Rosemont mine
Grand Canyon Uranium Mining

I'm not really sure at the moment what direction I will go from here. But I'm taking suggestions and comments.

Might be really neat to interview someone who has some kind of weight on this issue. OR maybe to do a road trip or wheeling trip!!! I mean, to visit some kind of place of interest or to survey something.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:01:26 PM by DZRT »

XCJ

Re: Destructive Mining - My English Research Paper
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »
Sounds like a fun topic.  Found an article on copper demand that is interesting: http://www.azstarnet.com/business/212184

I know you're a map junkie, so make sure to check out the map on the right side of the page about halfway down in the pictures section.

Have you thought about trying to talk with somebody related to the field in the Miami/Globe area?  I'm not too familiar with copper mining, but have noticed how much the people out that way rely on the industry.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:45:04 PM by XCJ »

Offline RiNkY

• Mah Facebooks page
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »
The Uranium mining at Grand Canyon was in the news recently.  http://americas.irc-online.org/am/6386
----------------------------------
Rog

Was - 2000 Xterra 4x2
Was - 2005 Xterra OR 4x4
Now - 2013 Subaru Outback

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »
Thanks for the input Rinky and XJC!

I found a lot of interesting articles yesterday on the subject, specifically on Rosemont. Here is one that sticks out in my mind:

I found an article about a guy that lives in one of the ghost towns near the proposed site of the Rosemont mine. Kinda sad, I think, because the guy moves away form the city to get away from people and now his "backyard" is being threatened. The article talked about "jeep trails" going through there, so one of you out there probably knows it.
http://www.tredaily.com/2008/08/14/rosemont-our-proposed-copper-mine/

The Rosemont mine people do tours for the public. Might be kind of interesting to do that. It's a few hours away though.

I do need to find some people to talk to that rely on the industry. Personally, I see the importance of both sides of the controversy. We all know that copper made Arizona who it is today (thus the copper star in our state flag, I just learned that  ::) ).

For today, I think my curiosity will take me to researching the reclamation process. Rosemont proposes a huge reclamation plan that includes employing the kids from ASU and spending millions of bucks. Basically, they will scrap off the top layer, put it aside for 20 some-odd years and then put it back... like cutting the top off of a cake, putting it aside, digging a hole to take out the yummy filling, putting the top back on, adding birthday candles, and then singing happy birthday with a big ol' smile.
I wonder if this has been successfully done before.... And I wonder if they would put that jeep trail back.  ;D J/k.  And what would prevent a mining company from not skipping town after they are all done mining and completing the reclamation project. Humm…

Update to share: I found a cool circular by the USGS on Reclaimation: http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/2000/c1191/c1191.pdf
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:33:58 AM by DZRT »

Offline timh

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
Rosemont is a nice area.  It has jeep trails, quad trails, picnic areas.  As a 4wheeler and quad rider I am torn, I hate to see the area go, but at the same time I know we really need the industry :(

I guess either way you look at it, they are going to mine somewhere, they can't just stop doing it!  I like the idea of trying to restore the land back to the way it was prior to mining.  There is another mine down near near Mammoth that shut down years ago and they reshaped the hillsides back to their natural form but there is little or no vegetation and the area is still closed to the public?????

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
Thanks timh. I'm going to agree.
I wonder if that Mammath reclamation area is still in the works... I think it would be because it takes time to grow trees.
I've spent my free time today looking up reclamation and learned a lot. There is a law (SMCRA) that was passed that all mines must have a reclamation program. BUT Arizona is not part of that. I'll have to find out what's up with that.
We keep building houses and roads and cities and cars and stuff. Even the tree huggers need this stuff (you know they were on the waiting list for their Prius's which are not made out of corn husks and twigs). The materials must come from somewhere. (You mean it doesn't all come from Home Depot?) Building this stuff creates jobs and... the circle of life. I think if humans can be responsible with mining and reclamation, we should go forth with mining.
Some of these reclamation projects look pretty neat: they build parks, sports facilities, golf courses, camp grounds, all kinds of stuff. It looks like it works. Kinda like "double use" of the land.  We are tearing up local land to make these facilities anyway, it’s all around us.  Might be cool to mine the land first then "put the icing on". Then every one gets something.

I think we can have our cake (without the filling) and eat it too. (I think I will make this line my thesis.  ;D)

(And others may have other views... I'm just doing this to try to develop myself for this for this damn English paper. It's not the point of taking a side for right or wrong, it's the point of learning how to communicate and research. I'm sharing my thoughts, looking for healthy feedback, taking suggestions and including anyone that wants to play. It's always nice to have friends around when things like English class sucks.)