collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM
  • HBIII: Thanks, I will check them out
    November 12, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): Phx rack and axle has lifetime replacement on there rack and pinions.
    November 12, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Sounds like your replacement rack was bad.
    November 12, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
  • HBIII: The assembly is leaking in both sides and the boots on the inner tie rods are both ripped open leading them to believe it is all related. Sorry I'm not the best with suspension knowledge
    November 10, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
  • cjohan: inner tie rods?
    November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
  • HBIII: Inner tie rods
    November 10, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): fans are controlled by the coolant temp. When coolant temp is above specified temp the fans will come on.
    November 10, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
  • cjohan: anyone have there fans come on with engine? a/c and heat off
    November 10, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): where exactly did it fail?
    November 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
  • HBIII: The factory rack failed at 48k miles and now the replacement just failed at 71k miles and I don't know why
    November 10, 2017, 06:41:15 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Elaborate "eat steering assembly"
    November 10, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
  • HBIII: Preferably in the valley. Thanks
    November 10, 2017, 12:21:39 AM
  • HBIII: Anyone have recommendation for someone that can diagnose an issue causing my X to eat steering assemblies?
    November 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
  • Forrest: Charouleau gap is a fun but difficult trail I try to go up there once a month
    November 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
  • 14Frontier: I have been up to kiss rock on the gap
    November 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
  • remo1991(Brent): Yup fun trail
    November 05, 2017, 07:00:20 AM

Author Topic: Big Horn Mountain / Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area Trail  (Read 22189 times)

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »
It was as flat as a dirt path home to begin with. We really didn't see a need

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
"Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice."
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline AZ-Ted

• AZ-Ted's YouTube Site
Re:
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
I didn't have a shovel, we used my mud flap ish things that go on the front of the rear tire

Clifford
2007 Xterra S

Yeah, when I had my '01 2WD, I got stuck twice.  Once in deep sand and once in deep mud.  Both times I got pulled out by ATVs.  When I got stuck in the sand, I didn't have a shovel with me, and I was digging out by hand for almost an hour before the ATV rode by.  When I got stuck in the mud, there was an ATV nearby, and he came over to help.  Luckily, I didn't need to use the shovel, but I had it just in case.

Other than a shovel, you may want to consider running with a 2nd spare tire.  Wheeling in a 2WD can burn up rear tires quick (due to the extra tire spin needed for certain sections of the trail), and having a 2nd spare can be very useful.
2006 XOR; Titan Swapped; Fully Shrocked, etc., etc.
2013 Titan Pro4X:  A.R.E. "Z" series truck cap

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 01:17:48 AM »
I'll keep that in mind, but I shouldn't be offroading at all because I can't afford tires in general so an extra spare is nearly impossible right now lol

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline Stoic V

• Supporting Member
Re: Big Horn Mountain / Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area Trail
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:28:59 AM »
I have been stuck twice in my first gen. Both times where when my front diff was acting up, so  I never engaged  4WD.   Once  I was turning around in the desert, and sunk in sand.  I had a hydraulic jack and a shovel with me. I just had to find some old wood in the desert to help me get unstuck. (I took the wood home and now is decoration for my fish tank) The second time, was similar to you.  It was still dark,  early in the morning, and I drove in a rut that was deeper than I thought. I drove to slow through it, and my trailer hitch high centered the back of the truck. I only had my scissor jack and some tools with me.  I had to jack the truck up several times and then use a screwdriver and some rocks to dig my way out.  Both instances took my about 2 hours to get back on track.

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »
It took four in the hitch, about 1.5for the tire

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline powracoustik

• Noob
    • Photobucket
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
wow that totally sucks chica!  well i am very happy youre ok tho!  but i guess now you can start saving up for a set of nice tires! =)

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 11:21:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking into bfg ko2s 285s and a 3" sl

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:15 PM »
that will for sure change your rig. I dont know anyone running the k02's so i'm interested to see how they hold up. I heard they come with a hefty price tag.

then suspension lift is always expensive if done right haha.

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 05:33:16 AM »
216 per tire, but I may be getting them cheaper, I'll let you know, and on the Facebook chat, there are a Fer people and that's what gave me the idea, only downside is I need 5

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline m.sainz12

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »
$216 for the redesigned? That's dirt. The new KO2s were Baja 1000 race tested along with other testing.. the new BFGs are definitely the way to go if you for heavy wheeling

unamused

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
Clifford, damn man, glad you got back safe!  When I ran that trail I didn't have any issues, but like I posted, I have a 2" lift and am running BFG AT2 KOs.  I deflate down to about 17psi to smooth out the rough and to stay on top of sand.  I also have air compressor, shovel, gloves, first aid kit, radio, tools, spare hoses, spare belt, oil, trans fluid and trail maps.  If I head out alone I ALWAYS tell a friend or family where I'm going and when I'll be back.  The BFGs I'm running are the old design, they were $220 a piece but they have seriously strong sidewalls, and I currently have 68000 miles on them.  There are better tires around, but these BFGs are great for AZ trails.  Again, glad you made it out safe and you'll love these trails once you have good tires on your rig!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:42:05 PM by unamused »

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
Clifford, damn man, glad you got back safe!  When I ran that trail I didn't have any issues, but like I posted, I have a 2" lift and am running BFG AT2 KOs.  I deflate down to about 17psi to smooth out the rough and to stay on top of sand.  I also have air compressor, shovel, gloves, first aid kit, radio, tools, spare hoses, spare belt, oil, trans fluid and trail maps.  If I head out alone I ALWAYS tell a friend or family where I'm going and when I'll be back.  The BFGs I'm running are the old design, they were $220 a piece but they have seriously strong sidewalls, and I currently have 68000 miles on them.  There are better tires around, but these BFGs are great for AZ trails.  Again, glad you made it out safe and you'll love these trails once you have good tires on your rig!!

Thanks, yeah, it was definietly an emotional day. I don't plan to do another trip alone anytime soon. I was looking into BFG KO2's and I was head strong on them but I have found a different set that I really like. But I'm slowly working on recovery gear to help keep myself safe and prepared
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »
We need to all get together and run this trail in 2wd in Honor of Chantel.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
We need to all get together and run this trail in 2wd in Honor of Chantel.

I would totally be up for that, a bit of a redemption run!
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »
This trail has claimed another.

So I've been wanting to run this trail for quite some time now. I missed the Tribute Run and decided to tackle it last Sunday (October 18).

I had told my daughter earlier in the week that we were going to four wheeling on Sunday. She was so excited. So Sunday afternoon we left the house at 3pm and set out for the trail. 2wd trail shouldn't take too long as I thought to myself.

I got out to the trail head about 330pm. Waited for some cattle to clear the trail and made my way. Passed some donkeys and my son waived. We came to the first fork in the road. This is where my day turned. Instead of going right, I went left. I passed trail marker after trail marker and explored along the way. It soon got dark and I couldn't find my way back to the original trail. After two hours of doing circles in the dark I came to the original fork in the road. Do I go right (the way back to the start of the trail) or do I continue the trail to the left? It was maybe 630pm and I thought its supposed to be an easy 2wd trail right? So left I went. With about half of the completed I dropped into a wash and couldn't locate the trail on the other side. I took the wash to the right and saw a Cattle Tank(pond). I knew better than to enter it so I flipped a u turn. As I completed the turn the clay muck grabbed me and wouldn't let go. 730pm I am officially stuck. I tried to dig out with no luck. 830pm I give up, unload the kids, and begin to hike out to find cell service. With my 1.5 year old son in my arms (he's 30lbs) and my 4 year old daughter holding onto my shirt we followed the trail back the way we came. After just over a mile I finally got 2 bars of 1x service. Just enough to call the only person I knew that knew that trail. Luckily Chantel answered and wheels were set in motion. I wanted to keep hiking out, but my daughter became very whiny and my son was getting really heavy. We headed back to the Xterra. That phone call was the only one that I was able to make. The signal was so weak that I couldn't even send out my coordinates. We made it back to the X about 9pm and both kids passed out the car seats. It was eerie how quiet it was out there. Not even the sound of a coyote. I watched the lightning off in the distance and dozed off. I was in and out of it for a while. At 11pm I think I told myself that no one was coming and started making plans of hiking out when it became light out. Roughly midnight I spotted lights coming down the trail. I was half asleep and freaked out. I switched my lights on and started flashing them violently. As the vehicle turned in my direction I could tell it was an Xterra. But who was it. It has Pro4x roof lights. I don't know anyone that has them. The X stopped in front of me and passenger door opened. I saw a figure come towards me. Holy shit it was my wife. She didn't say a word to me and went straight to the kids. Well see now I didn't bring my daughters insulin or blood sugar reader. So she was pissed. I then saw a person emerge from the drivers side. That was the moment that I thankfully got to meet Chuy. We assessed the situation and began digging out more muck from under my X. He brought tread boards and a tow strap. Since I broke my front tow hook off wheeling in Tucson I had to loop the tow strap through the left lower control arm. First pull didn't even budge my X. That was some serious suction my the muck. Second tub Chuy really got behind it. I was free! We stored the gear and decided to go back the way we both had come down the trail. Neat the windmill we ran into Chantel and two members of AZ4x4Club. We chatted and caravanned back to the starting point. 2am we reached the trail head, aired up, took a pic and hit the road. All the way home I had this ridicules vibration over 50mph. Pulled in my driveway at 3am, took a shower and went to sleep. 6am my alarm went off and I went to work. That was the longest day ever. When I got off work I put the X in the air and wow. That clay much was stuck to everything. Every wheel had clay stuck to it causing the terrible vibration. The rear axle looked as if it were cast in a mold. I chipped away with a screw driver and a hammer until most of it was off. Time to go home and get some sleep.

A very special thank you to Chantel for orchestrating the rescue mission and calling my wife. I owe you.
Chuy I cant thank you enough for responding to call. I owe you big time for pulling me out.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:37:41 PM by PitSnipe (Kyle) »
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.