collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Yesterday at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Yesterday at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Big Horn Mountain / Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area Trail  (Read 21284 times)

unamused

Big Horn Mountain / Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area Trail
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Hey All!  This past Sat I headed out west of Phx to check out a 2WD friendly trail and ended up running Big Horn Maintain Trail.  The trail has a rating of 2.5 out of 10 for difficulty because you'll need to cross a few sandy washes.  This trail offers beautiful scenery and on a winter morning it is really stunning out there!  My X is a 2006 2WD "S", it has a 2" lift and 275/70-16 BFG AT2s.

To get there take I-10 west to Salome Rd., travel WNW on Salome Rd to Eagle Eye RD, turn right heading N on Eagle Eye Rd 3.8 miles and the trail head is a dirt trail on the right.  If you follow the entire trail you will exit the trail on Indian School Rd., just west of Tonopah and can jump back on I-10 to head back to Phx.

Big Horn Mountains & Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area.  Great place to spend a morning!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:09:46 AM by unamused »

Offline coatimundi01

Re: Big Horn Mountain / Hummingbird Springs Wilderness Area Trail
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »
Def some pretty country! And holy tall saguaro, wow!
Wishin' I was fishin'...

unamused

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »
Def some pretty country! And holy tall saguaro, wow!
It was incredible out there early morning, I love the small of the desert in winter! 

That Saguaro is one of the tallest I've ever seen.   :o

Online Ghostrider

• Supporting Member
  • Red Rock Spirit
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
What size tires are you running?
Mark Costa

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
I went out there yesterday in my 2007 stock 2wd S. While it was extremely beautiful, we ran in to a few issues. There were plenty of sharp rocks that blew out my rear passenger tire.

There was also a point where my rear tires were suspended after a dip that caused my hitch to grab a rock and lift my truck off of power. We were stuck for 4 hours.

No cell service, no one knew where we were at this point. We sent out distress signals on the cb. And after walking about 2 miles each way my phone found a random and brief 2 bars that could send geo coordinates of out location to my mother via text and the sos feature on my phone. We ended up getting sharp rocks under my tire because with the spinning from previous trial and error moments were now bald and couldn't grip. Spare had plenty of tread. When the sharp rock behind the tire that we figured would eventually wedge it's self in while rocking forwards finally slipped into place I tried reverse and it held up and shot me backwards and out of the ditch. After 4 hours in the hottest time of AZ, middle of the trail, we were free. We have learned a lot of lessons in the past day. Just as a warning to fellow 2wds, this trail has sharp dips and I don't feel it should be rated as a stock 2wd safe trail.

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
"Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice."
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline FirstXRS (Zac)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:16 AM »
Oh wow! Glad you're safe now. I've never seen a tire ribbon like that.
Other Toys:
2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r (Supermoto)
1979 Honda CX500 (Custom Build)

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »
I have been all over that area and I would stand by that trail being a 2wd trail. I think I will update the OP to say that you will need more ground clearance than stock to run in some areas.

Also never hesitate to call a club member if ever in trouble. I'm always available to help. Especially since I'm so far west.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
that tire is crazy, what kind of tires do you have?

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »
We had no cell coverage for miles of walking. Masaru was there for us if we could get a call through. And I totally agree 2wd, just not stock 2wd. I have prodigy hts, street tires

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Time for some aggressive all terrains, some more flex.

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
Yeah. They're practically bald, gushy notice until then

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline remo1991(Brent)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »
make sure you always have your safety gear especially when you wheel alone ( which i don't recommend any way) Glad you guys made it out ok and a bit wiser. 

-   Full size spare tire, in good condition and preferably of the same size and type as the other tires.
-   Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tool capable of removing lug nuts (including key for any locking lug nuts).
-   First Aid Kit, and any personal medications that you require. The kit that comes with the Xterra is a good start, many have added to theirs with extra items they feel appropriate.
-   Extra food and water, even if only out for a day trip.
-   FRS Radio, with extra batteries / Or a CB (preferably). See below for Communications Protocol.
-   Vehicles should be in good condition, and be well maintained and in conformance with highway safety standards.
-   All vehicles should have recovery points front and rear. Most Xterras have a front tow hook standard; for the rear a Class III receiver hitch can accept a shackle that makes an acceptable tow point. Receiver hitch shackles can be found at most off road supply outlets. A tow hitch ball is not acceptable.
-   Tow strap (no metal hooks).
-   Map(s) of the area.
-   Fire extinguisher.
-   If camping, adequate equipment and food. Even if you don't plan to camp you should always carry what you might need in case it gets colder than expected or you need to spend the night. A blanket or two is always a good idea to have on hand.
-   Flashlight(s) and extra batteries, knife, matches/firestarter, mirror, whistle.
-   Air compressor. Many of the runs in Arizona are to areas where airing down tires can make a big difference in both traction and comfort, and can also aid in avoiding flats. You’ll want a way to re-inflate your tires at the end of the trail. Serviceable compressors can be found for as little as $50 at Costco, for example. Avoid anything that plugs into the accessory outlets inside the vehicle, they won’t have the output you need.
-   Above all, bring a sense of adventure and a desire to go exploring.

Other things that are nice to have:
-   Sturdy work gloves.
-   Shovel.
-   Extra clothing.
-   Minimal camping equipment, even if only out for a day trip (you never know when you might have to spend the night someplace).
-   Folding chair(s) come in handy at lunch stops and in camp.
-   Basic hand tools and supplies.
T-swap / Snorkel

Offline AZ-Ted

• AZ-Ted's YouTube Site
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
Glad you made it out safe, Clifford3200.  Did you have a shovel with you?  I offroad alone all the time, and I always bring a shovel with me in case I need to dig out.

Oh wow! Glad you're safe now. I've never seen a tire ribbon like that.

My guess is the tire failed, and then was driven on for some time until the sidewalls finally started to shred.  Hopefully, the rim is not too damaged.
2006 XOR; Titan Swapped; Fully Shrocked, etc., etc.
2013 Titan Pro4X:  A.R.E. "Z" series truck cap

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
Re:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
I didn't have a shovel, we used my mud flap ish things that go on the front of the rear tire

Clifford
2007 Xterra S
2007 Xterra S
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
Airing down reduces risk of tire damage when traversing sharp rocks.  Que the more you know music. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.