collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM
  • HBIII: Thanks, I will check them out
    November 12, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): Phx rack and axle has lifetime replacement on there rack and pinions.
    November 12, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Sounds like your replacement rack was bad.
    November 12, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
  • HBIII: The assembly is leaking in both sides and the boots on the inner tie rods are both ripped open leading them to believe it is all related. Sorry I'm not the best with suspension knowledge
    November 10, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
  • cjohan: inner tie rods?
    November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
  • HBIII: Inner tie rods
    November 10, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): fans are controlled by the coolant temp. When coolant temp is above specified temp the fans will come on.
    November 10, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
  • cjohan: anyone have there fans come on with engine? a/c and heat off
    November 10, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): where exactly did it fail?
    November 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
  • HBIII: The factory rack failed at 48k miles and now the replacement just failed at 71k miles and I don't know why
    November 10, 2017, 06:41:15 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Elaborate "eat steering assembly"
    November 10, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
  • HBIII: Preferably in the valley. Thanks
    November 10, 2017, 12:21:39 AM
  • HBIII: Anyone have recommendation for someone that can diagnose an issue causing my X to eat steering assemblies?
    November 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
  • Forrest: Charouleau gap is a fun but difficult trail I try to go up there once a month
    November 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
  • 14Frontier: I have been up to kiss rock on the gap
    November 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
  • remo1991(Brent): Yup fun trail
    November 05, 2017, 07:00:20 AM

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 14957 times)

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Another weekend has passed. Saturday morning I spent some time up in the area of I17 and Pinnacle Peak Rd and grabbed 4 urban caches. In the afternoon I went out to the west side of the White Tanks were I grabbed 5 more. Sunday morning I headed over to an area that was once an ostrich farm. It has an old circle track too. This was located off od 171st Ave and Jomax Rd. There is a series of 10 geocaches called the Jomax Races series which all were pretty easy finds. Then in the afternoon I headed up to north Peoria. Grabbed the one by Wild Horse West burger joint and then headed over to Canyon raceway for another. Kind of skirted that area and grabbed what I could. So after the weekend geocaching came to the end I had found 24 total bringing my total to 834 found. I have also continued my daily streak and am currently at 59 days straight with a find.

Heres a shot from the ostrich farm.

Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline xZilla

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2015, 09:09:04 PM »
So I've had this app for a very long time on my phone but never got into it.... Anyways seeing this post has me wanting to start.

Do you have the premium ?

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »
So I've had this app for a very long time on my phone but never got into it.... Anyways seeing this post has me wanting to start.

Do you have the premium ?

I am Premium and im into my second year. My first year I was not premium. I wanted to see how committed I would be before I paid into it. I love it. I don't use the geocaching app though. It limits the geocaches that you can see. I use an app called c:geo. I love it. It even has more features than the geocaching app. And the app is free.

My screen name on Geocaching is OffRoad_X. Look me up if you like and we can become friends. Also hit me up if you ever want to tag team some geocaches. That goes for all of you.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

AZ Wandering Bear

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
Geocaching is what got me back into trail running in the back country and then camping and then into overlanding and then into bushcraft.  Still do it some, but not like before.  Can definitely be addicting.

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Welcome to my world of geocaching. I did not post after last weekend. Last weekend I camped up on the rim at Bear Canyon Lake with a few from AZXC. I was only able to grab one from up on the rim. Spotty cell service made it very difficult to track them, I see a hand held GPS in my very near future. On the way home last Sunday I stopped in Payson and grabbed a few caches. I ended up getting rid of 3 travel bugs over the course of the weekend.

Last Tuesday I ended my daily streak at 67 days. Sometimes life gets in the way and you just don't have the time. Its kind of a relief knowing that the streak is over. Each day I would try to figure out where I was going to find my daily. Now I just go when I can. No daily streaks in my near future.

Yesterday (Saturday) I set out to grab one that eluded me about a month back. Name of the cache is Tough S.O.B. It is located west of the Sun Valley Parkway through a ranchers land. You have to cross two very sandy washes. I actually thought that I was going to get stuck. Well I managed to find it this time. So after that I crossed the Parkway and headed east to the White Tanks. I took Bell Rd (was a dirt trail but said Bell Rd on the map) right up to the mountain and scored three more finds. I called it a day around noon. It was getting a little hot. I got some good pics and enjoyed geocaching and exploring on 4th of July morning.

Today I set out west to Tonopah to grab a few isolated geocaches. I started in Tonopah off the Tonopah Salome Highway and bounced around as I grabbed two. Then I decided to take 355 ave (the back way the Wickenburg) north and try to find some dormant ones. The 2nd one along this leg I found hadn't been found in 9 months and the 3rd one hadn't been found in just over a year. Eventually I lost cell signal again. So I decided to call it a day. I ended up with 8 total today.

Well my finding has slowed down drastically. My total is currently at 858 finds.

Where I scored the first cache and almost got stuck.

Found a jumping cactus forrest
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:15:11 PM by PitSnipe (Kyle) »

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
Two things.

I think we should make a board topic for geocaching.

And second, is there a way to print geocaching maps? I don't have a premium membership at the moment but I am pretty sure I did not see that as a feature on geocaching.com.

I started using the  c:geo recently but didn't see that as a feature either.
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
Two things.

I think we should make a board topic for geocaching.

And second, is there a way to print geocaching maps? I don't have a premium membership at the moment but I am pretty sure I did not see that as a feature on geocaching.com.

I started using the  c:geo recently but didn't see that as a feature either.

Sure, lets make it board topic.

The problem with geocaching.com is it usually only shows you caches in the area that you are currently in. Also if you print a map then you will not know the coordinates of each cache. You would have to print a map and then print each individual cache. If you are a premium member then you have access to all caches. That's why most people use the app or use a gps device.

I believe that c:geo is by far the best geocaching app out there. It is the most user friendly and has almost all the same info as the geocaching app. There are times that I still use the geocaching app.

As far as features. What features are you looking for? Printing maps? Just print off the website if that's what your looking for. If I am going off the grid I write down the coordinates and plug them into the gps feature in my phone.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
I don't necessarily need coordinates just a quick reference,  so a screenshot is what I am doing  now. iI gorent from the geocaching sit but it doesn't let you print a whole page. 
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
I don't necessarily need coordinates just a quick reference,  so a screenshot is what I am doing  now. iI gorent from the geocaching sit but it doesn't let you print a whole page.

Why aren't you just using one of the apps? That's the easiest way to go. I went out and found 14 this morning.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »

Why aren't you just using one of the apps? That's the easiest way to go. I went out and found 14 this morning.

I use the app but I like to hand the kids their own "map"

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
Its been a few weeks since I have posted here. My geocaching has slowed down drastically since I ended my daily streak.
I just returned from a camping trip up on the Mogollon Rim. Cell service was spotty where we camped off of FR504. I did manage to grab one near our camp site where FR 504 and FR99 meet. I headed in to Heber and Overgaard and scored 6 caches. Lots of large containers out there. Then on the way home I grabbed one in Payson. That leaves my find total at 899.

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
I was unable to attend the Fat Tire run so I made the best of my weekend and busy geocaching.

Saturday morning there was a CITO event(GC5TZ08)(cache in trash out) at the Surprise Park. It was nice to clean up the park and meet other geocachers. Then after that there was a Meet and Greet and Eat (GC5Z9N4) held at Archie's Deli in Surprise for breakfast.

Later in the day I visited an Earthcache (GC5ADCE) at a propane storage and transfer facility in far west Phoenix.

Today I worked on a stretch of caches along the Old El Mirage Rd north of Bell Rd in Sun City. I ended up finding 7 of 9.

Its still pretty hot out there and my search efforts aren't nearly as productive as during the cooler months. I am currently at 913 finds.

A pic from my morning.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
You have soo much free time, lol and gas money.

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
My geocaching has slowed to a dismal crawl. This summer was a hot summer. With the cooler weather I shall return to my old ways. I did get one yesterday that was very impressive. I was the second to find it and received a pretty cool prize. It is a newly placed Travel Bug Hotel off of the 303 and Camelback Rd. I also grabbed a TB while I was there.

If you are in the area I highly suggest checking this one out.

As September comes to a close I am currently at 955 finds.

Here is my prize for being second to find.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:37:34 PM by PitSnipe (Kyle) »

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2015, 10:04:02 PM »
Wow, very nice. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.