collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Stephen: Folks, running Sedona next Saturday, then going to the muerte festival later that evening. Going up with a jeep buddy...family friendly
    Today at 07:03:03 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Yesterday at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Yesterday at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM

Author Topic: Water Wheel Camping - Payson, AZ  (Read 2196 times)

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Water Wheel Camping - Payson, AZ
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
The family got out of town for the Labor Day weekend. I wanted to leave town on Friday and come back on Monday but we ended up leaving on Saturday kind of last minute. We hoped it would be cooler. It was definitely cooler there than Phoenix at night, but during the day it was 90ish and felt a lot hotter if you were in the direct sun.

We were unsure of the campsites near Water Wheel and most of the info that I could find seems to be outdated. There are 4 areas of interest but really only 2 that are much worth visiting. They are in order of nearest to furthest, First Crossing - Water Wheel - Second Crossing - Third Crossing. Seems like the water level was very low judging from the dry water marks on the rocks in the area so if anyone has seen the other pictures of some of the places they look like lots more water was there at the time. Which might have made it more interesting...

However, we camped further up stream in the Verde Glen area. All four of those places of interest are day use only so other people camped in between the spots not sure it was totally legit but not once did I see a Ranger so who knows. We drove pretty far up where there were the fewest vehicles and where we could drive into the woods where other cars that were there could not. It was rocky and uneven but enough smaller areas just off the graded gravel road.

It was a great campsite and the one further off our little trail was a better one but some 'frat boys' were there, and while they seemed nice, we didn't mingle with them. They were up all night that first night till the sun came up and loud as hell. They left the next morning, I should have taken pictures of their campsite. They left a roaring campfire on what was to be a windy day on Sunday with trash every where. Disgusting. Anyways, I and the kids cleaned it up and attempted to lay down the fire, which took most of the day.

Then we were alone... but other campers were near you just couldn't see them, could barely hear them.

Some pics:
We hiked to this area from our campsite but we aren't sure what road this was as it was not on my little trail map.

This is Second Crossing, much easier to get to from the parking area and not as crowded because nobody seemed to know how to get there. Duh, follow the water.

This is just past that first pond once you climb down, an easy climb down, but it looks hard from above.

Sadly, I took very few pictures on this hike at the actual Water Wheel area. It was a medium to hard hike. Our kids did it, but man, we under planned for water and distance. It was a little stressful. It's a hike to get the end where the cliff is. Which was crowded. There are plenty of water areas on the way there. This was about mid-point to the main swimming hole.
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Water Wheel Camping - Payson, AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
It sucks that you ran into irresponsible campers, they are the ones that get signs posted that say "day use only" or "trail closed" good job cleaning up after them.  Glad to hear you had a good time, could you pin this spot on a google map, maybe I'll have to check it out one day soon. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Re: Water Wheel Camping - Payson, AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
So after looking at the map, this is where our campsite ended up being, and now I see what road that was behind us. We didn't go up that road because it was a turn off blocked by lot's of vehicles camped out near that turn off so we figured we would have been by lot's of people. But our campsite was really close to another road (NF-195) that led to the same place further north to the Verde Glen campground area.

Next time, I'll want to check that road further up. Looks like there might have been a rather larger mud hole further east down RF-64, so we'll have to check that out for sure. :)

34°22'58.3"N 111°15'45.5"W
34.382865, -111.262651

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:57:44 PM by pinchel »
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!