collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    Today at 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    Yesterday at 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    Yesterday at 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    Yesterday at 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    Yesterday at 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Depends though, I'm waiting on some details before I can set a final departing time.
    October 11, 2017, 07:27:21 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): I plan to drive up no later than Friday morning.
    October 11, 2017, 07:26:49 PM
  • XTiki: Want to make Secret Pass run at noon.
    October 11, 2017, 07:22:07 PM
  • XTiki: Anybody driving up early Friday from the Valley??  Wanted to make camp by 10am
    October 11, 2017, 07:20:57 PM
  • XTiki: The Valley??  I planned on leaving early to get up for Friday first trail.
    October 11, 2017, 07:18:44 PM
  • XTiki: Anybody driving up Friday morning early from
    October 11, 2017, 07:18:12 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Thursday!?
    October 11, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: added pictures to my FS post for my Xterra
    October 11, 2017, 03:38:32 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Thanks Pit, wasnt sure if it was okay to post them there.
    October 11, 2017, 10:54:26 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): post your guns for sale in the gun section
    October 11, 2017, 09:33:16 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I have a few guns I am looking to sell if anyone is interested, FNS 9C FDE and the POF Revolution CMR .308
    October 11, 2017, 07:27:42 AM

Author Topic: Exploring Southeastern AZ, handrailing the border  (Read 5385 times)

Offline jhberria

• Noob
Exploring Southeastern AZ, handrailing the border
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Spent all day Saturday riding along the border through Coronado National Forest. The day began with some exploration of Coronado Cave, which I highly recommend if you're ever in the area. Did a couple trails and visited a series of ghost towns a couple hundred meters from Mexico. The day ended with me and my buddy camping at the end of a small canyon west of Nogales near Peña Blanca Lake. Overall, it was a good time. No carnage, but I did scrape the bottom of my drivers side LCA on a rock. Me thinks it's time for 33s, especially considering my pending move to the PNW.
Coronado Cave:

Duquesne Road, which parallels the border for 40 miles and terminates in the ghost town of Duquesne.

The X straight chilled' on the border:

The border fence. There were cows on the other side, whom I yelled at in Spanish, but to no reply.

Interesting memorial, read the plaque.

Just outside the ghost town of Duquesne

The toughest part of the trip was the Gualajote Flats Trail. It's an old mining road that leads from the southern end of the Huachuca Mountains into the foothills of Patagonia.

The trip ended in Peña Blanca Canyon, where we camped. It's a trail that runs through a dry river wash and cuts its way to Peña Blanca Lake.

All together a fun trip over more than 100 miles of dirt roads and rocky trails.

Online Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Exploring Southeastern AZ, handrailing the border
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:12:25 AM »
Just don't end up on the wrong side with a firearm or ammo! Looks like a fun trail. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Stoic V

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »
Looks like a great trip. Ill be researching some of the places you went, for a future trip.

Offline jhberria

• Noob
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Looks like a great trip. Ill be researching some of the places you went, for a future trip.

Let me know if you need any information or suggestions on exploring this part of the state. In the 6 months I've been here, I've been pretty much all over it wheeling and camping and hiking.

Offline Stoic V

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
Will do.  Early Fall, I have a hike planned near Coronado Cave.  I plan to Hit Coronado and Miller Peak on a day hike.  Coronado Cave would be a good side trip.

Offline jhberria

• Noob
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
Coronado peak is a short hike if you start from the Montezuma Pass parking area. Miller Peak is an AMAZING hike starting from the same spot. I did Miller back in early January when there was still snow in the Huachucas, and we were literally walking through snow clouds. If you have time and two vehicles, I would suggest taking one vehicle up to the Carr Canyon campgrounds, and another vehicle to Montezuma pass where the Miller Peak trail begins, and hiking up Miller peak, across the southern end of the Huachucas, onto Carr peak, then down to the campgrounds in Carr Canyon and camp. It's about 12 miles of total hiking with great views along the way. My buddy and myself (the one with the FJ in the above pictures) did this and it was great. You could hit Coronado Cave on the way up Montezuma Pass.
Here's us hiking Miller Peak in January, and the 2nd picture is us on Carr Peak.

Offline Ghostrider

• Supporting Member
  • Red Rock Spirit
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
That is exactly the East does not offer. I put in 5Job apps today to speed the process.
Mark Costa

Online Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
Some awesome photos, makes me want to get out on the trail. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline jhberria

• Noob
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Well, as forecasted by myself, 285s (33s) happened this week. I was tired of catching my LCAs on rocks. I stuck with Duratracs, as this will be my third set on multiple vehicles and they've never failed me and are extremely versatile. I was able to sell my 265s on craigslist in less than 12 hours to cover much of the cost of the 33s.

I took the X down Corral Canyon Trail in Patagonia today to test out the tires and check out the wildlife. Here I am posing:

Heading further up the trail:

Interesting windmill contraption local ranchers use to pump up water for their cattle

Headed back down the canyon, you can see the Huachuca Mountains in the distance, which I live on the other side.

One of the many deer I saw in the canyon. They weren't particularly afraid of people, likely because they don't see too many of us.

look closely, and you'll see a Desert Screech Owl napping in the hollow of that tree. An older couple out bird-watching was nice enough to point it out to me.

I took the scenic route home. No regrets there.

Offline Stoic V

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Coronado peak is a short hike if you start from the Montezuma Pass parking area....
Nice pictures. I am looking forward to this hike.
 I do plan to park at the Montezuma Pass trailhead.  I am going to hike Coronado peak, to the Mexican boarder, backtrack to Miller peak, then back to Montezuma.  If I get an early start, weather is good, and my legs are still working, I might add Granite Peak to this hike. 

How are the Duratracs on the city streets and on the highway? Is it a nice quiet ride?  I will need tires by the end of summer, so I am starting to research tires now.

Offline coatimundi01

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:56 PM »

You're right in the middle of my huntin' grounds! Love that area. So beautiful and so much wildlife! I've never checked out corral canyon rd. where does it start?
Wishin' I was fishin'...

Offline jhberria

• Noob
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
Coronado peak is a short hike if you start from the Montezuma Pass parking area....
Nice pictures. I am looking forward to this hike.
 I do plan to park at the Montezuma Pass trailhead.  I am going to hike Coronado peak, to the Mexican boarder, backtrack to Miller peak, then back to Montezuma.  If I get an early start, weather is good, and my legs are still working, I might add Granite Peak to this hike. 

How are the Duratracs on the city streets and on the highway? Is it a nice quiet ride?  I will need tires by the end of summer, so I am starting to research tires now.

I fell in love with the duratracs when I had them on my previous truck. Before moving to AZ, I lived in wayyyy upstate NY right on the Canadian border. Obviously, snow and mud were an issue there. For the first 15k or so, they are relatively quiet on the street. Keeping them rotated (every 3-4k miles) will help retain that quietness later in their tread wear. At about the 20k mark, they develop a noticeable hum when driving 40-50 MPH. At highway speeds, they are still quiet. Obviously, they are never going to be as quiet as a true highway tire or a less aggressive AT, but it's a worthy compromise IMO.

You're right in the middle of my huntin' grounds! Love that area. So beautiful and so much wildlife! I've never checked out corral canyon rd. where does it start?

It really is a beautiful area, and I'm definitely going to miss it when I move to Washington next week. It's not called corral canyon Rd, that's just the name of the small canyon the FS road runs through. Check out this link for directions and a map from experience-az: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/corralcanyon/corralcanyon.html

I love that website.

Offline XterraGuy

• Noob
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
The trip looks fun. Thanks for sharing. Great photos, by the way.