collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): M.sainz12 you get your hat from Stephen yet?! lol
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:42 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): For a full length cargo rack?
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:18 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a good place to get a net for the roof that reaches front to back of the x?
    November 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a place to buy a net for the top of the x that reaches front to back?
    November 27, 2017, 12:07:30 PM
  • m.sainz12: anyone want a small palo verde tree?
    November 25, 2017, 06:11:27 AM
  • DBAX: Happy Thanksgiving maddafaqqas
    November 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM

Author Topic: Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
I have had this annoying rattle rumble sound that seemed to be coming from under the hood for weeks now. It happened almost immediately a day or two after I went to 33's AT's and did my lift. I have been hunting down a few rattles for a while. The first was coming from the heat shields on the exhaust directly under the middle of the Xterra. The clamps had rusted off, and I replaced with ring clamps. The 2nd noise was coming from the ends of the ring clamps, so I clipped them off.

The oldest and final rumbling noise that only occurred on take offs and hill climbs was from the driver side CAT heat shield. Now I had read about this but I always thought people were refereeing to the heat shield right above the driver side CAT that resembles the other exhaust heat shields. Little did I know the Xterra has a heat shield that actually wraps around the CAT and appears to be apart of the CAT itself. It didn't make much noise when hitting it, but when the engine was under load it was causing the buzzing rattling sound. I thought at first it was coming from the airbox, since I also just did a radiator swap. Especially since one of the air box mounts was broken.

I swear it didn't sound like metal but like plastic rattling. I was worried that it might be the transmission or torque converter causing this sound because I could actually feel it a little through the floor board and pedal.

It was already slightly splitting when I inspected it, I used a chisel to spread the bottom portion, and tin snips to cut open the round hole that was around the O2 sensor near the top half.

Happy 4th of July!!!
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Every time.
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »
I did not know of this elusive extra head shield.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:30:37 AM »
I checked under my xterra earlier this week but could not find anything rattling but yet the second I am driving I can hear it...I guess I'll have to check again. 
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
I checked under my xterra earlier this week but could not find anything rattling but yet the second I am driving I can hear it...I guess I'll have to check again.

I had been under mine many times playing musical Xterra tapping on everything with the back of a screw driver. The only thing that made a dull flat sound when tapped was the CAT wrap. It wasn't loose or anymore loose than the other heat exhaust items. My entire exhaust system feels very tight. The only thing that made me chance removing it was that it was already splitting a little, and I had checked all other sources for a rattle/buzzing sound. It was also the only component that had a flat dull sound when tapped. You could try putting two large ring clamps together around yours to eliminate it in your hunt. Good Luck!
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
every once in a while my skid plate bolt gets a little loose, and every time my exhaust growls I get a big rattly echo. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.