collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Today at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Today at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Yesterday at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!  (Read 960 times)

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
I have had this annoying rattle rumble sound that seemed to be coming from under the hood for weeks now. It happened almost immediately a day or two after I went to 33's AT's and did my lift. I have been hunting down a few rattles for a while. The first was coming from the heat shields on the exhaust directly under the middle of the Xterra. The clamps had rusted off, and I replaced with ring clamps. The 2nd noise was coming from the ends of the ring clamps, so I clipped them off.

The oldest and final rumbling noise that only occurred on take offs and hill climbs was from the driver side CAT heat shield. Now I had read about this but I always thought people were refereeing to the heat shield right above the driver side CAT that resembles the other exhaust heat shields. Little did I know the Xterra has a heat shield that actually wraps around the CAT and appears to be apart of the CAT itself. It didn't make much noise when hitting it, but when the engine was under load it was causing the buzzing rattling sound. I thought at first it was coming from the airbox, since I also just did a radiator swap. Especially since one of the air box mounts was broken.

I swear it didn't sound like metal but like plastic rattling. I was worried that it might be the transmission or torque converter causing this sound because I could actually feel it a little through the floor board and pedal.

It was already slightly splitting when I inspected it, I used a chisel to spread the bottom portion, and tin snips to cut open the round hole that was around the O2 sensor near the top half.

Happy 4th of July!!!
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Noise From Under Hood on Take-Off's SOLVED!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Every time.
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »
I did not know of this elusive extra head shield.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:30:37 AM »
I checked under my xterra earlier this week but could not find anything rattling but yet the second I am driving I can hear it...I guess I'll have to check again. 
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
I checked under my xterra earlier this week but could not find anything rattling but yet the second I am driving I can hear it...I guess I'll have to check again.

I had been under mine many times playing musical Xterra tapping on everything with the back of a screw driver. The only thing that made a dull flat sound when tapped was the CAT wrap. It wasn't loose or anymore loose than the other heat exhaust items. My entire exhaust system feels very tight. The only thing that made me chance removing it was that it was already splitting a little, and I had checked all other sources for a rattle/buzzing sound. It was also the only component that had a flat dull sound when tapped. You could try putting two large ring clamps together around yours to eliminate it in your hunt. Good Luck!
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
every once in a while my skid plate bolt gets a little loose, and every time my exhaust growls I get a big rattly echo. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.