collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Definitely breaker bar...
    Today at 08:27:59 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): No, Thats best acomplished with a breaaker bar and a wrench.
    Yesterday at 09:02:10 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: You think it will bust the lower shock bolts loose?
    Yesterday at 08:51:05 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I have a 3/8 drive Milwaukee cordless impact
    Yesterday at 08:47:31 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: @PitSnipe what size is your?
    Yesterday at 08:46:22 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): cant help ya there.
    Yesterday at 08:29:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: @PitSnipe prefer 1/2 as I wanna do the suspension on the truck. But if  3/8 will work...
    Yesterday at 08:14:55 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): 3/8 or 1/2 ?
    Yesterday at 05:45:19 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone have a good cordless impact gun I could borrow for a few days?
    Yesterday at 01:59:48 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Happy Holidays!
    December 13, 2017, 09:56:41 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM

Author Topic: Xterra Dangerous tool storage in cab?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
Xterra Dangerous tool storage in cab?
« on: July 19, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
Do you guys think it is dangerous to store tools under the passenger seats in the rear cab of a 2nd Gen Xterra? Im looking at all of that used space but wonder incase of a rollover if the seat would break loose from the plastic mounts keepers from the added tool weight. I was in a low speed off road rollover accident as a teenager and I was surprised how much everything moved in the cab. Have a bag full of recovery gear tools and shovel I would like to store under there.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
Re: Xterra Dangerous tool storage in cab?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
There are some really good write ups on the TheNewX about tool storage. There are a few tool boxes sold that fit perfectly under the rear seats. I have never heard of the rear seats coming unhinged during a roll over or serious accident.

I keep all of my tools and recovery gear in that rear cargo area. Some in the side pockets and most of it under the trap door. I can tell you from experience that anything in the cargo area will be thrown about the vehicle. Even the items under the trap door thing.

If you look closely you can see that the tow strap, two towels, a trailer hitch ball, both spare headlight bulbs, a ratchet strap, and the trap door thingy all were thrown out of the X. The inside was littered with tools and other items.

Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
Thanks Kyle, the back trap door looked a little sketchy. I think I will utilize the under the seat compartment to carry a few more tools.

Offline AZXTERRA 1994 (Jake)

• Noob
  • AZXTERRA1994 (Jake)
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
okay so this wasn't in an Xterra but I have a little experience with roll overs. Two years ago I rolled my honda coming down snowbowl road and literally everything except the stuff in the glove compartment and trunk went everywhere. (to top it off my iphone flew out of the car and shattered the screen) I think the safest way would be under the rear seat or in that top compartment if you have the stock roof rack (even though its very limited space) My tools are bungee corded to my rear seats in the back in a thule little car organizer thing. Come to think of it not very safe
05 X, 5100's, 40" lightbar, lifted, more goodies

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Rolled my Gen2 down the mountain at Chivo Falls, I survived because I was wearing my seatbelt. Otherwise I would have been scattered about like everything else was. I was fortunate to only have a small scratch on my arm that I believe came from something in my cooler which was on the floor of the front passenger seat.

I was lucky, I'll be even luckier if it never happens again.

I haven't changed the way I store my stuff, except to say I try to keep the heaviest stuff tucked up against the back of the rear seats, no amount of strapping etc will keep your stuff from redistributing itself in a rollover, just too much force to hold back. Small stuff although dangerous when it's flying around, is nothing compared to a large toolbox floating around in a rolling vehicle.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/0809-4wd-chivo-falls-arizona-trail-ride/photo-15.html

Offline timh

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »
I have a rack in the cargo area.  I keep a tool bag on that rack strapped down.  I also have a bunch of recovery equipment and misc tools in the under floor compartment.  In addition I have a Raingler net between the rear seat and cargo area to help minimize anything coming forward.  I don't expect it to stop everything but it might help.  If you want to keep anything in the vehicle it is a risk no matter what you do.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
Rolled my Gen2 down the mountain at Chivo Falls,

That's a scary situation, glad you made it out with just a scratch. Did the rear seats bottoms come unhinged where the jack is stored?

Offline Clifford3200

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
I think I'll be taking my skids out tonight. I am so glad you guys are safe. I have a few things locked up in the upper cargo. while I don't have tools strapped down, I like to keep anything in my truck wedged between seats so that they don't slide around. I will be reconsidering that now though because I know that any more force than what is applied side to side while turning will definitely move my items about.
2007 Xterra S
"Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice."
CLIFFORD'S BUILD

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Rolled my Gen2 down the mountain at Chivo Falls,

That's a scary situation, glad you made it out with just a scratch. Did the rear seats bottoms come unhinged where the jack is stored?

Thank you.

No not that I remember, the jack and it's associated parts stayed in place. The seats wedged together and didn't move after that.

Offline remo1991(Brent)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
Did you drive it home
T-swap / Snorkel

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.