collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Yesterday at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Yesterday at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Timing Belt Tension  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Brannick

• Noob
Timing Belt Tension
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:25 PM »
Could use a little input. Changing my timing belt and water pump. While I wait for a new bolt from Nissan (internal threaded bolt from water pump was broken, if anyone has a spare it would be awesome to finish this weekend) I want to be absolutely sure I've got the timing correct.

Firstly, I don't have a tension checker to get 22lbs on the belt per the spec requirements. How did you guys get the right tension? And the tension changes depending on where the engine is sitting. Tight, then has play. It trades off between different points of the belt.

Secondary question, both the crankshaft and passenger side sprocket (intake cam?) are both dead on with the markings. However, driver side (Exaust cam?) is half a tooth off. I counted the 40 teeth on the new belt between the two cams and 43 teeth down to the crankshaft which is correct. I'm pretty sure that will be fine but wanted to get some input from others who have done this on the xterra.

Any input would be helpful. I haven't had a timing belt be so finicky.

Offline Brannick

• Noob
Re: Timing Belt Tension
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Actually found a Gates Tension Guage online that could be overnighted for cheap. So I set everything up with the recommended 22lbs.

Everything is back together but it sounds like it is loose. Some noise coming from the timing cover. Has anyone had trouble with getting the proper tension?

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
I've done a few t-belts and one was a bit tight, but he went on to use nitrous with it so that probably benefited him.

I just made sure there was very little slack in it, compared to what I found when I took them apart. lol

Every one I've done, there was at least one tooth off and the belts were extremely loose.

I used marked OEM belts and aligned them to the marks on the Cam Gears and to the Crank gear. Note that if you look at the marks again they won't line up anymore after it is turned over so don't panic like I was. LOL The marks in the Cams and crank should line up though just not with the belt.

I hope you got it done ok. I did a write-up and posted it if you want to look for it.

Offline Brannick

• Noob
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »
I got everything back together. Everything matches up except one cam being half a tooth off which I just assumed was okay.

I ended up getting a tension gauge and set it up and put everything together. But I think I'm gonna have to go back in and tighten it up. 22 lbs is super light and you can hear the belt flapping in the cover a bit.

Everything runs better and the timing seems great other than the flapping belt.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »
The half tooth may be just the way you're looking at it they don't line up perfectly with the dots.

Glad you got it together. Keepin' the First Gen's alive! LOL

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:15:45 AM »

This is how loose my belt was, there was no way it had any more than a pound or two of tension. I only had about 85K miles on it at this point but I replaced more due to age than mileage.

You can see on these two pictures how far off my marks were.

About 1 tooth off on the Passenger side cam shaft. It used to ping quite easily before replacing the belt. I'm sure this had some to do with it. Also I've never seen one of these engines have the correct timing set, so you might want to check on how to do that and verify yours is right. Just hooking up a light and looking at the marks doesn't work for these engines. There's a sort of an involved procedure to do it. Which is probably why they get set wrong to begin with.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:34:49 AM by Conundrum »

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.