Club Information > Club Xcursion Information

September 19th Box Canyon and Coke Ovens

<< < (2/5) > >>

timh:
You can't predict the Gila river flow.  It is monsoon season and can change in a matter of minutes.  Even out of monsoon season I have seen drastic differences in flow from day to day.  It all depends on how much they are letting out of the dam at San Carlos.  I have done numerous trips to the Coke Ovens on dirt bikes when I thought the river was low and had to back track almost every time after being surprised by much higher flows.

XID:
I ran Box Canyon last November and January in my mostly stock 2013 Pro-4X, only upgrade is sliders.
Most of the trail is not bad at all.  I ran it coming from the north, past Ajax, following Mineral Mountain road until to connects to Box Canyon road.  The biggest problem was "the shelf". As you can see in the pic below, it's a pretty nasty drop off(for reference my son is about 5 ft tall).  You have to take the line to the right(left in pic) and hug the rock wall. I took a little slider scrapeage on the way down but that was it.  Once you're past that it's pretty easy going.  Just a few rocks in the road that you can easily navigate around/over if you take your time.
When I ran it in January, I took a friend with a bone stock Liberty.  We bypassed the shelf, by taking another road to the east of the shelf, which meets the main box canyon road a mile or less south of the shelf.  Also, I heard from some other wheelers out there that the road to Martinez Cabin/Canyon is closed off as well.  I may have a GPX/KML track that I can post if I can dig it up.  The shelf is located Here

Chuy:

--- Quote from: timh on September 02, 2015, 02:47:50 PM ---You can't predict the Gila river flow.  It is monsoon season and can change in a matter of minutes.
--- End quote ---

You can check the flow rate for that area daily online to get an idea of what it will be like in the morning. It updates about every 15-30mins, but yea if it decides to dump rain somewhere else it can change  very quickly. I have done that run in the rain and a stock liberty with AT tires did just fine. We just looped back instead of trying to cross the river. 

pinchel (Rob):
I'm interested in going if I can get that day off and get a permit.

Chuy:

--- Quote from: pinchel (Rob) on September 10, 2015, 11:19:10 AM ---I'm interested in going if I can get that day off and get a permit.

--- End quote ---

X2, this trail will be rough for an Xterra, I have a permit and a 2nd one available. From what I can see on the map STL is only right as soon as you drive up to the Coke Ovens. Secondly a hunting license, permits travel in the area if you are hunting.

That shelf via Box Canyon is nothing to worry about a stock anything will make it down. Going up should be cake if you take the easy line.

Is this still happening?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version