collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    Today at 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Today at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Yesterday at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Stock X - Suspension Questions  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Dan B

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
Stock X - Suspension Questions
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:59:23 AM »
So.. I'm new to the off-roading community but I'm shopping around looking for the most bang for my buck on a suspension upgrade. I'm not looking to go crazy but, I want something that will get me clearance and last as a great upgrade.  There are a lot of options out there in my price range and it kind of feels like shopping for cold medicine. Anyone have some suggestions on what to get and where to get it from? My price range tops out around $1500. HALP!!  ;D
2.5" Radflo Coil overs, SPC UCAs, Add-a-leaf with shims, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

Offline Conundrum

Re: Stock X - Suspension Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
With my Gen2 I had daystar 1.5" spacers up front, easy to install and kept the adjustment in the cam bolts for alignment. You'll need an alignment afterwards heavy duty tools to loosen the bottom shock bolt.

Add on a pair of shackles on the back to give it another 2" lift with some matching longer travel shocks from bilstein or rancho and you're lifted for a relatively small price, however note that now your leaf springs will be able to bend backwards and you'll lose most of the arch from them making the bottoming out issues worse. Some have used additional bump stops to cushion the ride. Especially if you tow anything with any kind of tongue weight.

Any other option is going to get much more expensive and is a little less DIY friendly imho.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
So.. I'm new to the off-roading community but I'm shopping around looking for the most bang for my buck on a suspension upgrade. I'm not looking to go crazy but, I want something that will get me clearance and last as a great upgrade.  There are a lot of options out there in my price range and it kind of feels like shopping for cold medicine. Anyone have some suggestions on what to get and where to get it from? My price range tops out around $1500. HALP!!  ;D

Welcome to the wide and wonderful world of off road driving. If you are just looking for a little extra clearance I would get a ~1" spacer and ~1" lift shackle. That shouldn't alter the stock ride too much. You can pick those up anywhere eBay, Rough Country, Nisstec, etc. its just metal the rest is marketing. It really depends what size tires you plan to run. I would strongly recommend investing in some basic recovery gear first and practice some basic self extraction techniques. Especially because you are 2WD. I don't know how hard or whats involved but I would heavily consider getting a rear locker or LSD. That would make your vehicle 4x2.

Basic minimum kit list I would recommend.
- Shovel
- Hand pruning saw
- (2) Tow/snatch straps looped ends
- New jack, the stock one sucks, get a jack base or carry a piece of wood to use as a platform
- Tire plug/repair kit
- Good quality heavy duty air compressor
- Flashlight/head lamp
- Air downs
- Gloves
- Basic tool and electrical kit
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
all depends on price range. There are a multiple shocks/coilovers out there that will be great.

I recommend radflo. I just went with them and loved them, I have no experience with saw, king, fox or bilstein. But after getting my radflos I have very little interest in getting other coilovers.

Offline Dan B

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
***UPDATE***

So, I shopped around and did a little bit of research. I ended up buying this :)

2.5" Radflo Coil overs, SPC UCAs, Add-a-leaf with shims, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
***UPDATE***

So, I shopped around and did a little bit of research. I ended up buying this :)

Nice, thats going to be a sweet setup.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »
Yes, sweet setup. I wish I knew what series of Bilstein they used because there is a site that sells shocks for an awesome price but they don't have the configurations to match 1st gen Xterras. :(

When you gonna install that?
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Dan B

• Supporting Member
  • Noob
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »
Yes, sweet setup. I wish I knew what series of Bilstein they used because there is a site that sells shocks for an awesome price but they don't have the configurations to match 1st gen Xterras. :(

When you gonna install that?
Probably as soon as I can. I have a good feeling I may need some help with it to get it done in a day. If I can't get any help It'll probably wait until I have some time off of work around the end of the month.

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
I'd be happy to help, let me know when its here.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 12:23:17 AM »
Mod day is long overdue.  I could get one together this month. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
Let's do it. I have a few things I'd like to knock out.