collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    Today at 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Yesterday at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Depends though, I'm waiting on some details before I can set a final departing time.
    October 11, 2017, 07:27:21 PM

Author Topic: From one X to the next [PHX]  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Sloth

• Noob
From one X to the next [PHX]
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the Xterra scene, just purchased a 2000 Xterra 4WD after I totaled my 96 Explorer. I had taken the Explorer on the trails in the area and had a blast, but eventually it developed a head gasket problem as well as many other minor problems popping up. My friend (who's joining once I bug him enough) purchased his 2003-4 Xterra months back and we were taking that off road and camping when I really started thinking of it as a viable platform. So once I had to find a new vehicle after my accident I got pretty lucky and found a Red 4x4 2000 Xterra with a sun roof and towing package. Took it off road 2 days later by running up the 88/Apache Trail and it proved me right.

So here I am, happy to find a community of Xterra owners in the area. I look forward to hitting the trails with you! Very happy with the tread-lightly following, I usually head out with more trash that I brought/made.

Also, would it be best to just wait until the start of next year to pay for my membership? Just read by-laws, and I don't think I'll be attending more than one meeting/xcursion before the end of the year so my noob status should be fine
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:34:32 PM by Sloth »

Offline Conundrum

Re: From one X to the next [PHX]
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
Nice! Welcome!

Just a note, if your timing belt hasn't been done yet (100K Miles or earlier) make it a priority.

The LSD in the earlier X was great. Something like 250 ftlbs to break loose IIRC. :)

Keep the calendar open for the first Sat of August for the Toys for Tots Fat Tire event.

Offline Sloth

• Noob
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »
Thanks! I did a carfax on it before I bought it and it was taken care of at the dealer up until about 156k, it has a new timing belt, distributor, fuel filter, and the brakes serviced most recently. Even saw where they swapped out the rims due to that recall, hah!

I was pretty happy to find the 00-01's came with a nice LSD, haven't noticed it/used it even with these balding Falken tires. Not sure what I should get next.

And will do! Sounds like a great event for a nice cause :)

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:00:12 PM »
Very nice.

As far as replacement tires, if you plan on staying mostly stock and only doing light offroad you could stick to All Terrain tires. The best I've had are Goodyear Wranglers with Silent Armor and BFG T/A KO which are 10 ply rated E. They're stiff but they'll take a massive beating! I also have currently mounted Firestone Destination A/Ts on my old wheels. I'm not happy with them because they are weather checking real bad, way before I've worn them out, however they did great off-road. I've known others who've run the Destination M/T and they were happy with them, but I put them on the back of my BAJA and they are losing chunks of rubber like mad and need to be replaced. Which sucks.

I'm currently running Kenda Klever M/T's rated E tires on SE 17" supercharger rims. I don't drive it much and it looks bad ass. :) They were very budget friendly and so far hold up great to the sharp rocks that I've driven on. I'll be looking for these for my Baja next.

You can choose from many sizes, but if you don't plan on doing a body lift (About 8 hrs and several hundred dollars work) or a suspension lift which is much more expensive, you'd pretty much want to stick to 1-2 inches taller than stock. Do a t-bar crank and or re-index on the front and add some 2 inch longer shackles on the back with the correct extended length shocks and you'll go anywhere within reason that you can expect an IFS truck can go. You'd be surprised. :)

Search around the site, there's some pretty good info here and I think most any question would be answered by someone.

Congrats.

Offline Ghostrider

• Supporting Member
  • Red Rock Spirit
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
Welcome.

You will find the Xterra is a a great platform to build. I have built 2 and I got to say the X is still a eye openers to those who do not know. Even the Nissan Dealers have not any  real negative views other than it is too reliable. They guys have it right. Build your X to the conditions you drive regularly. Tiresare tricky. I have road with E type tires and they do ridelike a Sherman tank, but are very tough.

I am looking out the Cooper AT3 285 x 16. The BFG come in At 58lbs each while the Cooper AT3 will come in @42 lbs., I found a little  Cush is not only better fro  your back, better the longevity of your suspension.

There are many choices.
Mark Costa

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
Welcome from Surprise. I don't know much about 1st gens, but I know that your going to love it. Please ask any questions that you may have. We are here to help and have a good time.

It is your choice to become a full member whenever you like. Its not a beginning to end of year expiration. If you sing up now it will expire next November. So its all up to you.

Your moob status isn't solely based upon club events. It also has a direct relation to how often you use the forum. The more posts that you are a part of the less of a noob you become.

December 12 we are holding a club meeting and mod day. Mod days are excellent for getting things done on your rig. Even if you don't have any mods to do it is still good to come out and meet everyone. maybe help out a little too.

We are currently planning for the 2016 KickOff Run too so if you cant make the Mod Day maybe you can wheel with us to start the new year.

As far as tires go now. You have to pick what you can afford obviously. Ive owned two Xterra's. An '07 and the '11 I have now. The '07 I bought new and ran with the stock ones till they wore out. Went with a Goodyear Wrangler road tire after in the stock size ( I really wasn't into off-roading at that time). I bought my '11 and it had Nexen street tires on it. Not recommended. I sold them and bought some used 285/75R16 BFG A/Ts from a member here. They were old, but did the job till I bought new tires. I went with the Falken Wild Peak AT02s in a 285/75r16. They were a heavy tire and I could never get them to balance out smooth. Not a bad tire off road. I had them about two years. Still a lot of tread on them. I had the option to swap them out with a new set of 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac for free. I jumped on them and I honestly love them. Best choice for me on tires so far.

So basically look at what you like. Look for something that will fit your needs. Are you just an avid off roader, trail rider, and lover of camping? Go for an A/T. Are you a mud warrior? get the M/Ts. Do you research and ask questions. We all have our own opinions when it comes to tires.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline Sloth

• Noob
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
You will find the Xterra is a a great platform to build. I have built 2 and I got to say the X is still a eye openers to those who do not know. Even the Nissan Dealers have not any  real negative views other than it is too reliable. They guys have it right. Build your X to the conditions you drive regularly. Tiresare tricky. I have road with E type tires and they do ridelike a Sherman tank, but are very tough.

I am looking out the Cooper AT3 285 x 16. The BFG come in At 58lbs each while the Cooper AT3 will come in @42 lbs., I found a little  Cush is not only better fro  your back, better the longevity of your suspension.

It's going to be my DD for the foreseeable future, but I want to do what I can to help it on the trails. I go hiking or camping at least once a month too so anything that helps with reliability like an IAB would really help. The Coopers look pretty nice! I wouldn't mind a lighter wheel too.

It is your choice to become a full member whenever you like. Its not a beginning to end of year expiration. If you sing up now it will expire next November. So its all up to you.
So basically look at what you like. Look for something that will fit your needs. Are you just an avid off roader, trail rider, and lover of camping? Go for an A/T. Are you a mud warrior? get the M/Ts. Do you research and ask questions. We all have our own opinions when it comes to tires.

Thanks for the info! I'll be paying for that membership right after I get by christmas presents bought. Always happy to help a club run, especially with all the help I'll be needing. Might convince my other Xterra friend to come with me for the mod day just to meet everyone, i'd love to put usernames to faces and get familiar before we hit the trails.
I'm definitely going to get A/Ts of some sort, mud is fun and all but the low mounted alternator makes me cautious even though I know plenty of people do it. I'm probably going to go for the largest tire I can while keeping it stock, the extra ground clearance is nice and I don't lift my center of gravity too much.

As far as replacement tires, if you plan on staying mostly stock and only doing light offroad you could stick to All Terrain tires. The best I've had are Goodyear Wranglers with Silent Armor and BFG T/A KO which are 10 ply rated E. They're stiff but they'll take a massive beating! I also have currently mounted Firestone Destination A/Ts on my old wheels. I'm not happy with them because they are weather checking real bad, way before I've worn them out, however they did great off-road. I've known others who've run the Destination M/T and they were happy with them, but I put them on the back of my BAJA and they are losing chunks of rubber like mad and need to be replaced. Which sucks.

I'm currently running Kenda Klever M/T's rated E tires on SE 17" supercharger rims. I don't drive it much and it looks bad ass. :) They were very budget friendly and so far hold up great to the sharp rocks that I've driven on. I'll be looking for these for my Baja next.

You can choose from many sizes, but if you don't plan on doing a body lift (About 8 hrs and several hundred dollars work) or a suspension lift which is much more expensive, you'd pretty much want to stick to 1-2 inches taller than stock. Do a t-bar crank and or re-index on the front and add some 2 inch longer shackles on the back with the correct extended length shocks and you'll go anywhere within reason that you can expect an IFS truck can go. You'd be surprised. :)

Silent Armor? That sounds pretty neat. I was happy with the BFGs I had on the explorer last, but I'm just going to see what A/T I can find at the right price. Would it be a good idea to get wider/larger rims? I have the 15x7's on mine but I see some 16x8's from a frontier SC SE on CL.

That Baja must be pretty fun, Subaru Baja right? My pal has an orangeish '79 Brat thats been on the trails, it's a crazy little ride.

Are revolver shackles a good idea? I've seen them in some build threads but have seen some mixed reviews, but ultimately if I'm going to avoid a body lift I'll want shackles and revolvers seem to be more functional. I dont mind cranking the tbar and reindexing as long as I can get my alignment straight.

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »
Silent armor is what they call the sidewalls. They are lined with kevlar. After payette draw you could barely notice any sidewall scuffing after they were washed. :) They also rode soooo much better than the LongTrails the 2005 X came with and were literally destroyed on a mild hill climb in the Estrella Mountains. Lost two tires at the same time. Was able to limp home after cutting off the loose rubber chunk.  :o

These are the shackles I'm running: https://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=1&t=2&p=438&n=
They're really tough and DBAX was rough on them... :)

With a T-Bar crank you have to leave room on the upper bumpstop or you'll have no upward travel and it'll ride rough, not to mention they won't be able to align it either. You'd need to make sure who you take it to is familiar with the raising of a torsion bar front end. It was a pain getting Firestone to do my alignment right.

Nah, a friend had a subaru baja when I was a kid, but I don't think he ever got it running. We lost touch but I'm sure it would/could be fun. :)

My Baja is a '66 VW beetle, that's why I was so dissapointed in the Destination m/t's I thought they'd last forever. I only have a 1600 Dualport with a mild cam and progressive weber carb. Yeah, most people say when they see me running, "you're crazy!" lol But I know the limits and can run circles around the Xterra off-road. I love heat and air conditioning though, not to mention the X is better for the kids. Safer.

I don't get out much anymore, but always make the Fat Tire Toys for Tots event, first weekend of August.

See ya around and good luck.