collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Happy Holidays!
    Yesterday at 09:56:41 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): M.sainz12 you get your hat from Stephen yet?! lol
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:42 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): For a full length cargo rack?
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:18 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a good place to get a net for the roof that reaches front to back of the x?
    November 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a place to buy a net for the top of the x that reaches front to back?
    November 27, 2017, 12:07:30 PM
  • m.sainz12: anyone want a small palo verde tree?
    November 25, 2017, 06:11:27 AM
  • DBAX: Happy Thanksgiving maddafaqqas
    November 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM

Author Topic: Wheeling May 20th - 22nd : Sedona, AZ  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Stephen

• Supporting Member
Wheeling May 20th - 22nd : Sedona, AZ
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:21:21 AM »
I'm going to be taking my X out for a vacation my family and I are taking to AZ for a few weeks.  We are going to be there from May 15th through June 1st.  SO, I want to set up a wheeling trip up to Sedona, where we drive up after work on Friday night and camp out, then Saturday, go wheeling all over the area, camp out on Saturday night and I'll provide food for a cookout (probably burgers and dogs, beans, drinks, etc; MAYBE slow cook some ribs while we're wheeling throughout the day).  This will be a kid-friendly event, as I'll probably bring my family with me as well.

Sn0

Offline FirstXRS (Zac)

Re: Wheeling May 20th - 22nd : Sedona, AZ
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:26:08 PM »
Yes.

For camping, are you looking for backcountry style, or one with facilities?
Other Toys:
2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r (Supermoto)
1979 Honda CX500 (Custom Build)

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »
I'd be interested in going.

firstxrs what kind of back country camping do you know of up there? the campgrounds get horrible when the weather starts to get nice.

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
Im in  8)

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »
Sounds fun, I'm interested.
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Stephen

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
Honestly, does not matter much to me for the camping.  What is the concensus?  Backcountry or Facility camping?  Facility is nice because you have bathrooms, backcountry is nice because you have no people!

We'll need someone to step up and be a trail leader.  I don't mind leading, but I haven't been out there before, and not sure if a paper map is the best thing for that environment.  I would like the the trails to be 2.0 - 4.0 rated, but again, not sure what's out there and what others' rigs are capable of.  (I'm about to drop mine off for a SOA conversion in the rear, then bringing the front up to 4"+ 1" spacer and limiting straps, fully armored.  By the time I'm out there, I'll be rolling 35" AT tires too.)

Sn0

Offline m.sainz12

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »
Could camp up on Schnebly hill rd

Offline DBAX

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Reserve creek side spots in Manzanita campground now. Flat spots under old growth trees; picnic tables, fire rings, and pit toilets. Fresh trout to catch (and eat) with modern conveniences nearby (dairy queen and Indian gardens market/café). Sedona wheeling is old hat for locals, but always a pleasure to show off for those who've never been. There's the ubiquitous Broken Arrow trail, Soldiers Pass and Teacup trails. They can be combined for a long day of wheeling, with a lunch stop somewhere in the middle. Greasy spoon and the Oak Creek Homestead is another combo trail ride far less technical. There's some good (excellent) ruins to see too if you're families into that. They'd be separate xcursions from the wheeling, but well worth the visit and hike. Weather should be excellent that time of year too, nice sunny days and warm nights.

ETA- NOT in Sedona, but the back road to Crown King (29 miles, from low desert to over 6000' elev.) then camping in Horse thief Basin is a pretty epic AZ off-road adventure too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:21:48 AM by DBAX »
I got your "Jeep thing", now it burns when I pee..

Offline FirstXRS (Zac)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
firstxrs what kind of back country camping do you know of up there?

Embarrassingly, not a lot. The only real backcountry camping I've done in my time so far in Arizona has been the Payson and Superstition Springs wilderness areas for survival classes (I know, extreme side of the spectrum). I'd love to do more when opportunity provides, but would never inconvenience others for it. I can always camp when I request the time off work to do so  :P.

Until I get some more time and mileage under my belt, I'll tag along for the events to learn as much as I can about our state's recreational opportunities.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:33:43 PM by FirstXRS »
Other Toys:
2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r (Supermoto)
1979 Honda CX500 (Custom Build)

Offline DBAX

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
Sedona and back country camping, doesn't really make sense. :)
Anything in Oak Creek Canyon, is in a campground. It's campgrounds, cabins for rent, and VERY expensive homes. Around Sedona, the land is mostly private, and not really anywhere to just pitch a tent and set up a fire ring. Any land you'd drive onto, and stay for a night or two, would most likely be along a Jeep tour path, or in and around hiking trails which are always busy with locals and tourists alike. As noted Schnebly Hill is a 20 something mile graded dirt road that leaves from Sedona and goes up over 1000' to a forested area, but IMO is not someplace I'd settle my family for a night or two if I were to spend my days wheeling far below in Sedona, amongst the red rocks.
Over the years, I've found very few, if any, locales for dispersed camping in Sedona but I'll look into some books about the area when I get home. Wet Beaver creek comes to mind as a possibility, but again, locals and hikers most likely would swarm the area that time of year to take advantage of the cool, clear water to play in.
WBC-

Yeah, this is kind of what I've been saying.. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31352-i168-k3506292-Camping_in_the_wilderness_around_Sedona-Sedona_Arizona.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:16:38 AM by DBAX »
I got your "Jeep thing", now it burns when I pee..

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:02:12 AM »
The only good spot I have found to back country camp in Sedona is about Here

It used to be any spot east of 525 was considered "red rock" and camping was not permitted, however last I checked that had all changed.  As a result we always camped on the west side of the road, but now you could do either.  It is still a good 45min-1hr to Broken Arrow and probably 30 min to Soldiers Pass.  Other wise I would suggest a campsite.  I wasn't impressed with camping on Schnebly Hill rd, it runs right next to the freeway and you can hear cars for miles.  Also, the altitude change is so rapid you can't stop anywhere within 10 miles of Sedona to camp.  So by the time you get to the camp site it will be forested, and and you wont be able to see the red rock.   
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline Stephen

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
What trails do you all recommend running then?  I have not been up there except to run a Pink Jeep tour like 15 years ago, so I'm not as familiar with the area.

Can someone put up some options for trails?  That might help us determine where we camp, whether campground or primitive camping.

Sn0

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
The must run trail in Sedona is Broken Arrow, here another trail worth running is Soldier Pass, right about here 

Other than that you can explore the red rock area, which is all graded dirt road.  Just know that if you want to stop at the more popular parking/hiking spots, you'll need a red rock pass.  You can get one from the Ranger Station, as well as more info, here
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline Stephen

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
The must run trail in Sedona is Broken Arrow, here another trail worth running is Soldier Pass, right about here 

Other than that you can explore the red rock area, which is all graded dirt road.  Just know that if you want to stop at the more popular parking/hiking spots, you'll need a red rock pass.  You can get one from the Ranger Station, as well as more info, here

I know this is a ways out, but are you thinking about making this trip as well?  I've got a buddy that may be flying out from Charlotte, NC to explore out there, and another buddy who may be driving down with his family from Idaho.

Sn0

88high

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 11:57:15 PM »
Hmmm let me see if I can go, I think my graduation is then...

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.