collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM
  • HBIII: Thanks, I will check them out
    November 12, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): Phx rack and axle has lifetime replacement on there rack and pinions.
    November 12, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Sounds like your replacement rack was bad.
    November 12, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
  • HBIII: The assembly is leaking in both sides and the boots on the inner tie rods are both ripped open leading them to believe it is all related. Sorry I'm not the best with suspension knowledge
    November 10, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
  • cjohan: inner tie rods?
    November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
  • HBIII: Inner tie rods
    November 10, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): fans are controlled by the coolant temp. When coolant temp is above specified temp the fans will come on.
    November 10, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
  • cjohan: anyone have there fans come on with engine? a/c and heat off
    November 10, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): where exactly did it fail?
    November 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
  • HBIII: The factory rack failed at 48k miles and now the replacement just failed at 71k miles and I don't know why
    November 10, 2017, 06:41:15 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Elaborate "eat steering assembly"
    November 10, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
  • HBIII: Preferably in the valley. Thanks
    November 10, 2017, 12:21:39 AM
  • HBIII: Anyone have recommendation for someone that can diagnose an issue causing my X to eat steering assemblies?
    November 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
  • Forrest: Charouleau gap is a fun but difficult trail I try to go up there once a month
    November 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
  • 14Frontier: I have been up to kiss rock on the gap
    November 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
  • remo1991(Brent): Yup fun trail
    November 05, 2017, 07:00:20 AM

Author Topic: Welcome to Amateur Radio!  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Welcome to Amateur Radio!
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »
I have been fielding a lot of questions about Ham radio out at the events, and it was requested that I start a forum topic on the subject.  I will update this page a lot as I go through and answer questions, but for now I'll start with the basics.

What is Amateur radio?
The short answer.  The FCC set up areas throughout the frequency bands for use by amateurs, which is to say, not professionals, not commercial, not business. 
Why?  To allow for people to communicate and practice communications, for emergency purposes, for event purposes, for research purposes.  Many antenna designs have come out of the amateur arena. 

Why should I get into Amateur radio? 
Do you travel throughout the wilderness alone and find yourself lacking cell service?  Do you enjoy volunteering to support events?  Do you like tinkering with electronics and building things? 
These are all good reasons to get into Ham. 

More information.
I'll add more as I have time, but in the meantime check out the ARRL website Here   

I found some classes on youtube that start here

Also a practice test is available here

Lets Get Started
Yes, you need a license to operate, but anyone can listen and the test isn't killer.  I can't say I highly recommend the book.  It may help, but a lot of people just study the questions and figure it out.  There are example tests online, feel free to ask questions on this thread. 

You need a radio, luckily the Chinese are making these things cheaper than ever. 
This is the basic model Here , or similar on Amazon Prime -> http://amzn.to/2bdSqOV   It comes ready to go, but the antenna is lacking and you may end up upgrading it and the battery as well. 

I use one of these, or similar on Amazon Prime -> http://amzn.to/2bdSI8l  The antenna and battery are both better.  The biggest issue with this model is that it was designed with business use in mind, so to switch from pre programmed to manual tune you need to power off and hold the menu button while powering on. 

Programming either of these is basically identical, it can be done manually and there are youtube videos on doing this.  I cheated and ordered up the cable you'll find on ebay and programmed it with a program called chirp.

For those of you interested in skipping ahead to a less awkward and more powerful mobile system.  I own a Kenwood TM 281A.  It works only on the 2 meter band, but this is the most common, and it offers 65watts of output.  It has a great speaker in the front, rather than the top or bottom, and does not require a fan to run.     

The Basics

You will find the majority of communication is performed in one of two ways.  Either Simplex, or via a Repeater. 

Simplex most people are already familiar with, it involves dialing up the same frequency your buddy is on and talking.  Range will very by condition, but with a handheld you should expect at least 2-4 miles with the 5watts of power available.  With a mobile system expect up to 50 miles with good line of site. 

Using a repeater provides the largest advantage to the individual Ham user.  A repeater is a transmitter, typically mounted on a tower on top of a hill or mountain.  They provide good line of site to a large area and repeat the signal in higher power throughout the surrounding area.  In order for repeaters to work, they cannot re transmit on the same frequency they listen to, the signals would counter each other.  Instead the repeaters transmit on one frequency, and listen on another, this is referred to as an offset frequency.  Typically this is either + or - 0.600Mhz.  Additionally, you don't want your repeater repeating any thing it "hears" so they use an access "tone."  This is a tone produced by the initiator of the signal which tells the repeater to go ahead and repeat this signal.  So, in conclusion, to program a repeater into your radio you will need three items, the frequency, the offset, and the tone.   

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:38:01 AM by pinchel (Rob) »
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: Welcome to Amateur Radio!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:49:20 PM »
For those interested in getting your Ham license there are classes starting March 5th.  This is a great way to get your license, as far as I can see the only fees are $15 for the test and $25 for the book.  Se the attached flyer for more info.

Flyer link

Also, the training is available on youtube, Here but it is 6 hrs of pbs style 80s work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:25:28 PM by pinchel (Rob) »
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Thanks Avi
I will most likely attend this.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 04:30:02 AM »
For anyone interested in jumping in, here is a smoking deal on a good radio.  Note, anyone can purchase a radio and listen in, you need to get certified before you mic up.  Listening in and programming your radio is a great way to learn about half of what the test is about.   
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010078 
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline Stoic V

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
Well I picked up one today...... I just need to install it.

Offline XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
I want to buy this so badly! (And learn / take the test etc.) But then I want a snorkel more. Decisions ..
ToTM February 2016, May 2016

Nisstec Extended Travel Lift ~3 inch suspension lift, Sasa Sliders, Snorkel

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
I want to buy this so badly! (And learn / take the test etc.) But then I want a snorkel more. Decisions ..

Just pickup a handheld BaoFeng UV-5R for now. They are $25 on amazon.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 01:53:34 AM »
I recommend you buy a programming cable for your radio and download a program called Chirp.  You can find them on ebay cheap.  Chirp works with all radios I have tried, and it allows importing of excel files to download to the radio.  I'll attach my 70cm & 2 meter repeater and common frequency list here.  It took a fair amount of research to put this list together and it is fairly complete for AZ.  If you go out of the state look up repeaters in the area online and program them before heading out.  The list is pretty self explanatory, anything around 144-148Mhz is 2 Meter (most common) anything 440-450Mhz is considered 70cm.  Full band plan Here   
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
Just took the HAM pretest knowing nothing about it. Scored a 34%. Now its time to start learning the ways.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
I got a similar score on the General test without reading up.  It does take some studying, but once you go over it a couple of times it will stick. 
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:49 PM »
I got 26% haha

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 01:58:42 AM »
Post up any questions you have and I'll try to answer them.
PRG Advanced lift
Full skids

Offline AWIZRD

• Noob
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:08 PM »
I used an online, self-paced website and aced the Tech Exam.

The site I used: https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/login.htm
also look at QRZ.com

Doug
K5WIZ
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X - 2-time TOTM winner
K5WIZ - Usually on 2-meter/70cm (W7ARA & WB7TJD)
Wizard's Build http://www.azxterraclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1887.0
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” - John Wayne

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.