collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
[17] 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Seems like a good deal not sure if it is some one on here: [link]
    December 15, 2017, 11:53:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Definitely breaker bar...
    December 15, 2017, 08:27:59 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): No, Thats best acomplished with a breaaker bar and a wrench.
    December 14, 2017, 09:02:10 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: You think it will bust the lower shock bolts loose?
    December 14, 2017, 08:51:05 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I have a 3/8 drive Milwaukee cordless impact
    December 14, 2017, 08:47:31 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: @PitSnipe what size is your?
    December 14, 2017, 08:46:22 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): cant help ya there.
    December 14, 2017, 08:29:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: @PitSnipe prefer 1/2 as I wanna do the suspension on the truck. But if  3/8 will work...
    December 14, 2017, 08:14:55 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): 3/8 or 1/2 ?
    December 14, 2017, 05:45:19 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone have a good cordless impact gun I could borrow for a few days?
    December 14, 2017, 01:59:48 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Happy Holidays!
    December 13, 2017, 09:56:41 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Author Topic: Car batteries  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
Car batteries
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
What brand car batteries do you guys personally use.
Im used to just going to Autozone for batteries mostly Duralast gold.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
Re: Car batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
I use the AGM battery that Oreilys sells now, I think AutoZone sells the same AGM battery re-badged. I am having great results with it. Its a poor mans Red Top but is excellent value.

In the past I ran dual 31M Marine Deep Cycle Die Hards. The regular platinum Die Hards are equivalent to Optima Red Tops. I went through two of those before switching to the deep cycle marines. They are rebadged Odyssey batts. I would get these again but the nearest sears is 45mins.

I ran dual Red Tops in my 88' Pathfinder and they worked great for years. Until you suck them dry you need a higher end charger to bring those back to life, most charges will just read them as dead.

I have had Optima Yellow tops in all of my sedans for years, and these have been great batteries too.

You can kill any battery deep cycle or not but any AGM batts are the way to go. I have an Oreilys around the corner so the choice for me is easy. It was either a Yellow Top or Oreilys AGM. I think I paid $80 with a coupon for mine.

You can get Yellow tops from Amazon super cheap, but the exchange will be more of a hassle if needed.

I don't think I would go with a normal liquid filled battery again, they require maintenance, and during a roll over or accident can leak out everywhere. When I rolled one of trucks the battery caps popped off and the acidic water got on everything ruining lots of wire looms, belts and eroded the paint.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline xZilla

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
DieHard Plat from sears.

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:33:49 PM »
If running dual batteries should i run the same or just similar?
Thinking about running a gel battery inside along side.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »

The best way is with an isolator, I ran the Hell Roaring Dual Batt system, but you can use Iron Man, Luna, etc. The plus is that it separates the batteries when the ignition is off but charges them when the ignition is on. Some systems and monitoring displays are smarter than others. What I liked was that I could do a self jump start if my main batt ever died by just pushing a button. It also would prevent my previous beast 85qt dual zone fridge from killing both batts.

If you decide to run two batteries in parallel the best odds are, to run the same two batteries otherwise one will always be discharging the weaker battery when the ignition is off.

If you are just looking for the self jump start capability then a microstart is just as effective without the weight and higher cost.

Offline DBAX

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
Odyssey batteries are not the same quality they were 10-15 years ago. Different manufacturers now, and lower quality standards.
I got your "Jeep thing", now it burns when I pee..

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »

The best way is with an isolator, I ran the Hell Roaring Dual Batt system, but you can use Iron Man, Luna, etc. The plus is that it separates the batteries when the ignition is off but charges them when the ignition is on. Some systems and monitoring displays are smarter than others. What I liked was that I could do a self jump start if my main batt ever died by just pushing a button. It also would prevent my previous beast 85qt dual zone fridge from killing both batts.

If you decide to run two batteries in parallel the best odds are, to run the same two batteries otherwise one will always be discharging the weaker battery when the ignition is off.

If you are just looking for the self jump start capability then a microstart is just as effective without the weight and higher cost.

i was thinking self jump as a way to use it and another would be to have a battery to drain and recharge with the stock charging system.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »
i was thinking self jump as a way to use it and another would be to have a battery to drain and recharge with the stock charging system.

I would go with a Luna dual battery setup it works well and will let you know the actual status of your batteries. For batteries I would go with the Optima Yellow Tops, or Odyssey/Die Hard Platinum Marines (blue ones). They are both deep cycle and can be fully recharged by the vehicles charging system when depleted multiple times without any issues.

Here is a pic of my old setup, I use to run the stereo all night, and I had a much larger less efficient fridge at the time. I had previously purchased a scan gauge that gave me the actual 12v read out, so its the only reason I didn't go with the Luna setup.

Top right button is a modified OEM switch I used as the self jump button

Hell Roaring Isolator setup with overseas OEM diesel battery tray, and Dual Die Hard Marine Platinums

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:45:58 AM by Chuy »

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
I run Mopar batteries in all three of my vehicles. Being a Chrysler Tech has its advantages. They are all AGM batteries. Every two years when the warranty is up on the battery I grab a bad battery and test it so it shows that it fails. then I replace the 2yr old battery for a new one.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
Im going to try An AGM battery next time probably im 5-6 years my usual lifespan of the Autozone duralasts.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:34:44 AM »
So far I have yet to use anything other than Duralasts...
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:24:01 AM »
I have tried optima, and currently running the super start which is AGM.  Neither have made it much past 2 years. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Conundrum

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
I got more than 10 years out of a Duralast Gold in my D21, so that's all I buy now.

I've had yellow top, red top, optima and for the additional cost, it's not really worth it unless you don't want it to leak acid or need to mount in an unusual way.

I'm running a Duralast Gold in the Xterra that is from 10/11 (Oct 2011) Still going strong and no issues even with a slowly dying alternator (fat Tire mud) and having to charge/jumpstart many times other cars, etc.

I found the biggest issues with my batteries have been not bolting solidly down or post issues causing leaks around them on the cheaper batteries or internal shorts from bouncing in the tray. Haven't had much issues after that. I had a new battery get a hole rubbed into the side of it once. That was an expensive mistake. lol

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
Just replaced a Red Duralast with Gold just so i can have the 2 year free replacement which i do like 2-3 times before it runs out just to have it new for a while.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Anyone replace their OEM cables or connections?
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.