Buy / Sell > Rants and Raves

R200 Rear Locker

I am very happy about this.

As you probably all now there's not a great deal of after market parts for the R51.

I wanted to have the Pathy re-geared. With 33's (hopefully 35's soon), lift, roof rack and towing a trailer the Pathy was
for lack of a better work gutless. Going up hills towing a trailer semi's would over take me and I would be down to
2nd gear at times.

While I have been in contact with Steven at Rugged Rocks for some 18 months it was only the last 4 months that I
took a few trips to CA and we tried different combinations to fit a rear locker, but no luck until recently. We knew
the 4.10 gears would fit both front and rear (actually 4.083 for the rear) with a front ARB locker.

Anyway we were to fit gears for the C200K into the R200 and we needed a spacer which isn't a problem. Prior to driving to CA
and having the gears done, Steven did some research and found out that a Nissan Patrol has a C200K front diff that sits
in a IFS. A few email back and forth with ARB both axles have a clip and should fit the locker from the Nissan Patrol.

When crunch came to crunch the clips were different. What happen next was that we machined a grove into the locker to
accommodate the clips on my axle. It did fit perfectly and was tested out the back of the shop and worked without a hitch.

I believe Steven has forwarded the info to ARB.

The 4.10 gears are awesome, while I haven't towed the trailer the power and ease of acceleration is just great.

Thupertrooper (Victor):
If you guys didnt know us R51 Pathy guys had only 1 option for a rear locker since the R51 came out, it was buy an Armada rear differential and find matching gears(usually Armada w/ towing package) and an ARB locker. So this information, time and effort to get a locker in the original R200 should help alot of us Pathys that have no rear lockers.
I think the reason Nissan didnt follow through with a locker for the R51s the testing they did probably broke alot of diffs. Our aluminum housings are rated really weak so they didnt want the liability. After having a front locker and beating the crap out of it im confident a factory locker would of been more reliable then the stock Nissan radiators  ::)

Thanks Sir ;) I did read a lot about the radiators. I did he bypass, I hope it holds up.

Thupertrooper (Victor):

Thanks to David

What is interesting,  I pull an U-Haul trail (5x 12) and I wish I had 4.12gears.My Mileage sucked at 160 miles per tank 2300 miles.

[0] Message Index

Go to full version