General Discussion > Guns

Thoughts on good but inexpensive starter pistol

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ghostrider:
The other consideration is it is a good carry conceal sidearm even with a 9" length.  Hollow points even up the Caliber issue. Right now until I get y mods done on the S&W 40 I trust the Glock19to fire under any circumstance. 8)

AZGeorge:
My thoughts:

Go to Shooter's World and rent an instructor for a couple hours ($50/hr or so) and rent various pistols.  Have the instructor help you determine which gun fits your hand; one that you feel comfortable with.  In my experience with SW just off Indian School (and 27th Ave, I think), their instructors are engaged and interested in your safety and satisfaction.  They are also passionate about their craft.

Might end up costing you $150 or so, but that's a small investment to make sure you buy the right gun.  Think that's expensive?  Think about how much money you'll waste on ammo if the gun doesn't fit well with you; the irritation you'll feel; and ultimately; never want to use the gun and that's $500+ wasted (gun and holster).

A pistol is a life-saving tool and you need to be able to use it proficiently.  Comfort plays a big part in being proficient.

DBAX:
Uhhh, who's it for?
How about a little .22 revolver?
I'm asking, because I know our kids are similar ages, and we're looking at .22 or .380..

Desert-X-Guy:
Can't go wrong with a .22 or .380 for starter pistol but can be a lot boring real quick.  I recommend Sig or H&K 9mm - .40 for first pistol, because its highly unlikely you will ever be disappointed with it, so kind of an investment in your happiness and security.

Although I do enjoy a good .45, its hard to justify ammo cost, less rounds per mag and bullet drop, when 40 gets the range, and hollow helps equalize the impact.

Ghostrider:

--- Quote from: Desert-X-Guy on April 19, 2017, 03:48:48 PM ---Can't go wrong with a .22 or .380 for starter pistol but can be a lot boring real quick.  I recommend Sig or H&K 9mm - .40 for first pistol, because its highly unlikely you will ever be disappointed with it, so kind of an investment in your happiness and security.

Although I do enjoy a good .45, its hard to justify ammo cost, less rounds per mag and bullet drop, when 40 gets the range, and hollow helps equalize the impact.
[/quote

The 9MM is always a good choice.   Now I am getting into my 40. cal. shoots good with a little more recoil, however is very much controllable. 380 will end up in the closet and never used. ( Unless one uses for a SD concealed side arm.)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version