collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): M.sainz12 you get your hat from Stephen yet?! lol
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:42 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): For a full length cargo rack?
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:18 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a good place to get a net for the roof that reaches front to back of the x?
    November 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a place to buy a net for the top of the x that reaches front to back?
    November 27, 2017, 12:07:30 PM
  • m.sainz12: anyone want a small palo verde tree?
    November 25, 2017, 06:11:27 AM
  • DBAX: Happy Thanksgiving maddafaqqas
    November 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions for rear suspension  (Read 1339 times)

Offline AZ Prospector

• Noob
Suggestions for rear suspension
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
Being a long time Xterra owner, I have always delt with poor rear suspension.  My original 2000 went through 2 sets of factory suspension before I settled on Rancho.  This did not fix the bottom out problem, but at least they lasted until I traded it in for my 2013 Pro 4X. 

I was hoping that after 13 years of production, Nissan and resolved the rear suspension issue.  I also thought that the Blistiens on the pro4x would resolve the bottom out issue.  as I am sure many of you already know, I was wrong.  I still bottom out with minimal weight in the back (like groceries). 

My current load out adds a decent amount to stock weight. 
- DEP Roof Rack with expanded metal bottom
- Rear storage Garvin Rack
- Dual Battery
- Arb Fridge
- every cubby/tray/netted area packed with gear

When loaded for outdoor activity I add substantially to this
- 10 gallons water
- Oztent
- Food
- Tables / Chairs
- Gear

In a couple of years, I plan on adding front/rear bumpers, sliders and skid plates. 

Questions:
1. Is the stock pro 4x lifted?  I cannot find any information about this on-line.  I know it's higher than my 2000, but that could just be the bigger stock tires.

Help:
So is there a rear spring fix that can get me by for a couple years, or is it best to just upgrade the whole system based on the added future weight of front/rear bumpers and skid plate system.  I'm not looking at lifting the Xterra any higher than the pro 4x is now, but perhaps that's not an option.  I want to make sure this is done correctly to prevent poor handling or component damage. 

Thanks for your help.

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Re: Suggestions for rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:18:13 AM »
You need upgraded springs to support the added weight. Start there before getting into the shocks. You'll get a bit of a lift to compensate for the weight but probably not much. You'll want to plan out and perhaps contacting one of the spring vendors and let them know how and what you are going to be doing and they'll have suggestions for you.

I think Chuy is in the same boat, and Stephen has a good spring contact.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:20:37 AM by pinchel (Rob) »
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »
It seems like all of the stock Xterra springs sag quickly when under any kind of weight. The stock leaf pack is tiny compared to other stock vehicles in the same weight class.

I went with OME, they are very well made. The gear I carried before that would have sagged my rear end like crazy, but now it doesn't sag at all when loaded up.

I would upgrade the whole pack considering the amount of gear you currently carry and considering your future plans.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
You could also add airbags if needed after the springs. Probably the easiest and cheapest sagging mod.

Offline AZ Prospector

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »
It seems like all of the stock Xterra springs sag quickly when under any kind of weight. The stock leaf pack is tiny compared to other stock vehicles in the same weight class.

I went with OME, they are very well made. The gear I carried before that would have sagged my rear end like crazy, but now it doesn't sag at all when loaded up.

I would upgrade the whole pack considering the amount of gear you currently carry and considering your future plans.

Does OME stand for something other than Original Manufacturer Equipment?

Offline AZ Prospector

• Noob
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
You could also add airbags if needed after the springs. Probably the easiest and cheapest sagging mod.

Considering these for temp solution, any suggestions on brand/type?

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
Airlift 1000 i dont know if anybody else carries them cheap but i got them through 4x4parts.com their shipping is ridiculous though.

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »

Does OME stand for something other than Original Manufacturer Equipment?

When they say OME it stands for Old Man Emu brand. We refer OEM for original parts.

Offline AZ Prospector

• Noob
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Thank for all for the suggestions and clarifications.  Can you also please suggest a good shop for suspension work?

Offline AZGeorge

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

I went with Airlift.  I wish I went with AAL first.  Air bags are great, but they are prone to popping if you hyper-extend your rear suspension, like, when you roll over rocks, and almost tip over.  I've blown them twice now.  After adding the 2" shackles, I added a 1.25" spacer to the Airlift so it's not pre-extended.  This seems to have worked as I didn't pop them when I jumped the X last weekend.

Airbags are much cheaper than new springs, but they come at a cost.  I love being able to inflate them to adjust the ride when I add weight.
2015 Pro-4X with solar panel and inverters.  Skid plates.  Sasa Sliders. 2" rear lift.  ARB front bumper+10K winch.  OME front suspension. Front bumper camera.  Molle panels.
>>>>>TotM: 07/16 03/17 10/17 <<<<<

Offline Jo-BOB

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
I went with the old man emu hd leaf springs. Been 5 years and still no sag. I highly recommend them.

As for shops, just do it in your driveway. Its not hard to do.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 06:54:09 AM »
I went with the old man emu hd leaf springs. Been 5 years and still no sag. I highly recommend them.

As for shops, just do it in your driveway. Its not hard to do.

X2 on the DIY project, I did mine by myself in the garage. Its a piece of cake. Old Man Emu (OME) is the same company as ARB, they make top notch proven products. There customer service is amazing. You can get the springs with free shipping if you order from eBay or Amazon.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Stephen

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
The best, least expensive option without adding lift is putting on a helper spring ($30 shipped on Amazon). It's a great option if you want to add lift going the shackle route as well (add the shackles, then add the helper spring to help with the extra load). Otherwise, the only way to get consistent performance from the rear is going with a replacement pack, like Alcan ($750 shipped) or switching out the leaf pack with a coilover setup in the rear (custom and potentially well over $750). Everything else is a band aid solution.

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »
Where is there a  helper spring for $30?  I would recommend going with a reputable company, either Nisstec or PRG.  Id hate to have a $30 leaf spring break while im driving or on the trail. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
The helper spring and airbags shouldn't be used on extreme wheeling. The airbags can atleast be deflated.