collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
[19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    Yesterday at 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM
  • HBIII: Thanks, I will check them out
    November 12, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): Phx rack and axle has lifetime replacement on there rack and pinions.
    November 12, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Sounds like your replacement rack was bad.
    November 12, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
  • HBIII: The assembly is leaking in both sides and the boots on the inner tie rods are both ripped open leading them to believe it is all related. Sorry I'm not the best with suspension knowledge
    November 10, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
  • cjohan: inner tie rods?
    November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
  • HBIII: Inner tie rods
    November 10, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): fans are controlled by the coolant temp. When coolant temp is above specified temp the fans will come on.
    November 10, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
  • cjohan: anyone have there fans come on with engine? a/c and heat off
    November 10, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): where exactly did it fail?
    November 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
  • HBIII: The factory rack failed at 48k miles and now the replacement just failed at 71k miles and I don't know why
    November 10, 2017, 06:41:15 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Elaborate "eat steering assembly"
    November 10, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
  • HBIII: Preferably in the valley. Thanks
    November 10, 2017, 12:21:39 AM
  • HBIII: Anyone have recommendation for someone that can diagnose an issue causing my X to eat steering assemblies?
    November 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
  • Forrest: Charouleau gap is a fun but difficult trail I try to go up there once a month
    November 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
  • 14Frontier: I have been up to kiss rock on the gap
    November 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
  • remo1991(Brent): Yup fun trail
    November 05, 2017, 07:00:20 AM

Author Topic: Knife Gear!!!  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
Knife Gear!!!
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
Is anyone else a knife nut? For me I have to always carry some sort of sharp tool, its my most used tool on a day to day basis. Especially when wheeling and camping. I have owned many brands of knifes over the years, but I think I have narrowed down my favorites.

#1 SAK aka The Swiss Army Knife, the best in my opinion is the Waiter Plus Large 91mm it has everything you would ever need minus the junk! Its been the best EDC knife ever, legal and very non-offensive all over the world. Everyone needs a SAK waiter somewhere in their collection or gear. I always carry one now, and my wife always keeps one in her purse. I am sure some of you have heard atleast of my wine bottle stories where a SAK has saved the day.

#2 The Mora!!! Its doesnt matter what Mora you own as long as its high carbon steel scandi grind. By far the best outdoor fixed blade knife ever designed or made. It simply runs circles around any buck, camillus, Ka-Bar, SRK etc. It is probably the most practical classic knife ever designed in history. It literally does it all, I have owned just about every model, the clipper, classic 1,2, and 3, Bushcrafter, etc. They are all great and can handle any task from processing a hug size log into pencil size kindling, from chopping down a wrist thick tree.

#3 DPX HEST/F, by far my favorite EDC knife design. Its like a swiss army knife but for adults. It can triple as a pry bar, bottle opener, and legit glass breaker. It has become my favorite folder with the introduction of the titanium HEST/F Urban making it more legal and more robust in a smaller, people friendly package. Nothing really compares, designed by RYP Mr. Danger himself and backed with a no BS lifetime warranty. I never leave home without it. Here is a side by side shot between my other popular titanium folder small Chris Reeve Insingo.

[/URL]

Honorable Mentions:

Best Ultra Light EDC Folder: Benchmade 940 a classic gem with the AXIS lock for left and right handers
Best Budget folder: ESEE Avispa 3.5", and Zancudo under 3", no other knife offers the durability and speed at this price
Best titanium folder: Chris Reeve Insingo small & large a true classic and lifetime heirloom warranty
Best Budget Outdoor Production Fixed Blade: ESEE Laser Strike, no BS lifetime warranty everything in one package
Best Outdoor fixed Blade: Bark River Bushcrafter, 3V steel lifetime warranty nothing comes close
Best Fixed Blade: Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia, the best of the best expect a 3 year wait to get one ( I have owned 2)

I have to plug one more item the Leatherman wave, best multi tool ever period! get the TTi with S30V blade!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:32:57 PM by Chuy »
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
Re: Knife Gear!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »
I always carry one on me. I have 4 in the X. One in my camping box. Two in my tool box at work. one in my tool box at home. One on my dresser and 4 more in my dreaser. I love knives.
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017

Offline coatimundi01

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:23:01 AM »
My three go-to hunting knives. A Browning fixed, a Gerber folder, and the little folder is a Case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was fishin'...

Offline Thupertrooper (Victor)

• AZXC Event Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »
You can never have to many knives 8)

Heres my EDC setup

Gerber 1 hand pliers for work(I dont carry pocket knives anymore as they seem to fall out and i tend to lose them)

Gerber Obsidian knife with bottle opener and screw drivers when i dont have my pliers.

These are my camping/outdoors knives for me and the GF

Top is the Gerber LMF II Infantry (I carry one and another in bug out bag)

Gerber Warrant (GFs)

Boker fixed old school (usually my Rocky Point fishing knife since its old and rusted already.)

Kershaw folding (GFs purse knife)

As you can see im a Gerber knife guy but only because they haven't failed me yet even the ones that they make in China.

I do have extra sets of Gerber pliers either in tools and in the truck in case i forget mine.

Offline Chuy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
Gerber makes excellent knifes and has some very original designs. They led the way for a very long time in the knife industry with their multi tools, fixed blades, and folding knifes. Some people may remember that the original Bear Grylls knife was a Gerber Gator.
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline DBAX

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »
My collection is a lot of Gerber starting from the early 80's, Benchmade (ooh fancy), Kershaw, and Cold Steel. Assorted Case, buck too. Then some odds and ends from local artisans from near and afar.
I love me some edges.
I got your "Jeep thing", now it burns when I pee..

Offline PitSnipe (Kyle)

• Club Vice President
  • Administrator
    • Kyle Zastrow
    • xterraguy81
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »

Top one is my every day carry. Its a CRKT M21-12G and I absolutely love it.

The rainbow one is a Kershaw and is the perfect "little" concealment knife.

Next one down is my hunting, camping, out in the desert knife. Morakiniv is the brand and it is Swedish. I picked this up at the Outdoor Expo this year after failing to buy one last year. Thanks to Avi for snagging the last one.

Bottom one is a Tac Force knife. Its a cheap knife, but I love the blade. 

And finally the trusty Swiss Army knife. My dad gave me this when I was little.

If you need a knife sharpened I highly suggest you check out The Clipper Shack. Only place I trust. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiG4_-79IzQAhUnsVQKHdPIDloQFggiMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FClipperShackAZ%2F&usg=AFQjCNFyMEshW7OxFXDzvb1qTAOw2UN6iA&sig2=v5IqEBdqU7EW7RB_q7Mh1Q&bvm=bv.137132246,d.cGw

Stand by for the rest of my collection.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:37:08 AM by PitSnipe (Kyle) »
Eight Time ToTM Winner. July 2013, December 2013, July 2014, December 2014, May 2015, August 2016, February 2017, September 2017