collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Stoic V I have sent you a few PM, I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Yesterday at 09:50:19 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): 98% sure I'll be doing Crown King
    Yesterday at 06:55:40 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): @Stephen well AZXC does their yearly sedona run but wont be till April.
    Yesterday at 05:48:10 PM
  • Stephen: I have never run any trails in Sedona since I've lived here...need to fix that asap
    Yesterday at 12:55:37 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Crown King Next Saturday!
    Yesterday at 10:36:13 AM
  • Stephen: Folks, running Sedona next Saturday, then going to the muerte festival later that evening. Going up with a jeep buddy...family friendly
    October 21, 2017, 07:03:03 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    October 20, 2017, 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    October 20, 2017, 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM

Author Topic: Intake Manifold/Plenum Gasket Service  (Read 1321 times)

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • "He who laughs last, laughs last."
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Intake Manifold/Plenum Gasket Service
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
This is something I have to do soon. There is a coolant leak under my plenum and it is not, or does not appear to be coming from a hose. I know some hoses are way overdue for replacement.

I plan to purchase the gasket kit and some miscellaneous hoses. I've watched lots of videos, the work doesn't look hard just lots of unbolting and removal of clamps/hoses, and electrical connections. Since it's likely been awhile, and it's cooler outside, I plan to clean the manifold real good and also bypass the intake coolant lines.

Anything else I should look for? I've already relocated the knock sensor, which I shouldn't have to mess with except remove the connection that remains under the intake plenum.

Stay tuned....what a PITA!

Started the other day, on a Friday. I had to drill out the 5 allen/torx bolts from the upper intake plenum because they were so torqued that they just would not budge. After the 1st one, I didn't even bother trying to break them loose, I just went and started drill the other 4 out. Way quicker. I already bought 5 replacement bolts from the hardware store. M8x1.25 25mm long. They fit great.

Had to cut a few hoses off to get the upper intake manifold to finally come off. That is soaking to get it some what clean. Hoping that none of the wires on my wire harness break, the plastic cover is pretty fagile and I know that several months ago when I did the knock sensor relocation that I had already discover a few loose wires that I taped up for the time being. They will likely need soldering at some point. I'll battle that demon once this gasket job is done.

So the fuel rail and its harness are out of the way. Bolts removed from the lower intake, but the darn thing is not moving. I gotta figure out how to get it to budge a little.

It is now Monday afternoon, I'm stopping for now.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:05:24 AM by pinchel (Rob) »
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Re: 1st Gen Intake Manifold/Plenum Gasket Service
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
So I have my intake half apart, looking at how to do the coolant delete. I found this, but it only shows the to lower hoses and not the two tubes attached to the upper intake manifold plenum.

In this video he talks about the tubes at about 2:10

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:34:41 AM by pinchel (Rob) »
Click here to see my rig.  Get your AZXC/AZTC/AZFC Forum Decals here  VinylTats!

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Re: 1st Gen Intake Manifold/Plenum Gasket Service
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
I'm here now, trying to force the lower intake to budge so I can lift it out. It ain't moving. Plus I'm freaking out now because one of the plastic spaces for the fuel rail is missing and I don't remember it falling. Hoping it didn't fall in the intake before I plugged the holes.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:01:02 AM by pinchel (Rob) »

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
Re: Intake Manifold/Plenum Gasket Service
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
Part list:
5 replacement manifold bolts, i replaced them with home depot allen bolts. (I'll probably go back and replace them with something else eventually.)
Lots of brake cleaner, oven cleaner, wire brushes and rags
Gasket sealer, not sure which yet. (I bought gray and blue but didn't use any.)
Gates Upper Radiator hose 22517 & worm clamps
Gates Bypass Radiator hose 22518 & worm clamps
Gates Hose 18462 & worm clamps
Gates Hose 18461 & worm clamps
Gates Hose 18460 & worm clamps
Gates Straight Heater Hose 28410 5" and 3", and worm clamps
Also, needed a piece of 90 degree molded 1/2" inner diameter hose, it was about 4" in length. I had to find a random one at Autzone that was $18 and cut it down.
About 5' of 5/32 hose which is window washer fluid hose at the part stores.
Felpro Intake & Plenum gaskets Kit
EGR valve gasket
Engine coolant, about 1 jug worth, I didn't empty the radiator. I just let it empty from the open hoses and such.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:27:19 AM by pinchel (Rob) »

Offline XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin)

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
What a project, I am not sure I would be mechanically inclined enough to do this, kudos! I hope you figure it out
ToTM February 2016, May 2016

Nisstec Extended Travel Lift ~3 inch suspension lift, Sasa Sliders, Snorkel

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
What a project, I am not sure I would be mechanically inclined enough to do this, kudos! I hope you figure it out

I'll figure it out. It's been slow going and on a budget so parts are coming slow. Main thing is cleaning it out a bit. I'm more concerned with the wire harness being so fragile. it's very possible that by time I'm done with this, that I may get another engine light for something electrical that wasn't an issue before. That is stressing me the most. :)

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »
I should have taken a better before picture of the lower intake, but it's much cleaner now. Still working on it, then gotta move back to cleaning the engine bay, block and areas below the intake. I probably don't have to, but since I disturbed all the muck in there, it seems worthy of the job. Plus, I don't want to have to come back and take this apart anytime soon.

Pics coming

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »
New gaskets and lower intake are back in, just gotta take pics and connect fuel rail back up then onto the top piece.

Here is the upper intake piece, sorry for the bad pic, but you can see the new 1/2" id hoses with the new clamps, and the small vacuum hoses.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:29:12 AM by pinchel (Rob) »

Offline pinchel (Rob)

• Club Treasurer
  • Administrator
    • robakapinchel
    • pinchel
    • pinchel
    • VinylTats
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
What's done is done. Repairs were made. Truck is running normal. I had to go back and tighten a few hoses. There may be some minor seeping but I don't plan to take it apart unless I can see the coolant dripping after a few days.

These connections from the heater core were seeping coolant after the first start up. I might have loosened them and forgot to tighten.

I didn't replace the upper radiator hose and clamps but it is on order. I didn't think I'd need it immediately but after cleaning the inlet on the lower intake, the hose just isn't sealing. That part should be installed this week.

As far as I can tell no more visible coolant leaks, except the oil leak which is from the rear main seal. I thought it might be another minor coolant leak but hard to tell at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:22:55 AM by pinchel (Rob) »