Dugas Rd to the Verde River

(1/3) > >>

PitSnipe (Kyle):
Location I17 and Dugas Rd East
Rating: 2.5
Vehicle Requirements: 4x4 with ground clearance
Total Time: 8 hours
Approximately 90 Miles.
Must have near full tank of gas to complete trail.

Directions:
I17 exit on Dugas Rd and head east on Dugas Rd.
About 20 miles in you reach the rim.
At 25 miles you reach a T junction which is FR57. Continue on Dugas Rd to take you to the Verde River which dead ends. back track to FR57. (Red line on the map).
Continue FR57
Next T junction is FR16 (yellow line on the map) takes you to the Verde River just across from Childs Power Plant and the Verde Hot Springs. Some parts of the year the river is low enough to cross.
Back track FR16 all of the way to FR269.
FR269 turns into Bloody Basin rd.
Exit Bloody Basin Rd at the I17

So Thupertrooper (Victor) and I decided to pre run this trail to the Verde River hoping that we could make this a 2wd run. We were wrong. 2wd is accessible on Dugas rd all of the way through until you make the descent on the Verde Rim. Once you make the descent the trail becomes very narrow. ie: no place to turn around. This is where 4wd takes over. You skirt the edge of cliff along the trail all the way down the rim. Dugas Rd takes you all of the way to the Verde River. We searched for a crossing, but the river is just to wide and deep at this point. Old river crossing is not accessible. Back track Dugas Rd to FR 57 to FR 16 which takes you back to the river just across from the Childs camp area. River was too right and did not permit a crossing this time. Back track FR16 all the wat to FR 269 which turns into Bloody Basin Rd and leads to the I17.

Stay Tuned for more.....

Here's a map of the trail   https://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=5796

Thupertrooper (Victor):
Very well done Kyle.
Thank you for the great write up.

Hammer (Avi):
Great camping spot, I don't know what the deal is now with the permit requirements in the area. 

Chuy:
This sounds like a fun trip, how deep was the water? Was it flowing fast or slow?

Thupertrooper (Victor):

--- Quote from: Chuy on December 14, 2016, 10:28:37 AM ---This sounds like a fun trip, how deep was the water? Was it flowing fast or slow?

--- End quote ---

It was flowing steady but not fast. The depth wasn't fully checked as it was pretty cold to get in lol but we drove in it till it was rockslider deep on my Pathy. About 2.5'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version