Buy / Sell > Rants and Raves

Thrifty car rental

(1/1)

Hammer (Avi):
I just wanted to share my experience renting through them for the benefit of anyone interested. 

Long story short, I rented a car with the anticipated drop off about 10 miles from the airport I was flying out of.  I thought it'd save me a buck and I could just Uber to the airport.  So I go to return it early because my flight ended up being earlier than I had anticipated.  I found there was no drop box, and no way to return after hours.  I called and found the location didn't open till 8 and I wouldn't make my flight.  I called and talked/bounced around customer service for over an hour.  Basically was told it would probably not be that much, was told a lot of different things by a lot of different people to be honest.  One even recommended I leave the vehicle at the hotel and have it recovered, god knows what that costs.  Anyways, I returned at the airport, and my bill went from $260 to $700.  Now I thought I would talk to customer service and they would do something, they didn't.  They told me to talk to corporate, so I did, and they refused to change the price.  Really, I'm a bit in shock, I thought they would be willing to make some sort of adjustment to keep a customer.  Maybe I should let them know this probably wont be the last rental car I rent in my lifetime, but it will be my last with Thrifty.  Their opinion seems to be, got ya.  Anyways, I used to travel regularly for work.  There have been multiple times where my options were, drive to another airport and get on an airplane or don't go home this weekend.  If this is what they charge for 10 miles than imagine what they would charge in that situation.  I'm disputing the charge through my credit card company, but even they said the contracts they use are hard to fight.  So, this may just go down as an expensive lesson.  Anyways, buyer be ware.       

pinchel (Rob):
I rented with them once, also had a bad experience, never used them again, so far. But I have also had issues with other places too, but Thrifty was the shady-est.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version