General Discussion > Open Discussions

CA-UT-AZ road trip, Flea plague concern.

(1/2) > >>

Edwin562:
Hello everyone,
so me and the fam will be taking a road trip from LA up to Zion National park, down to Phoenix and then back home in LA.  Everything has been planned and sorted out, just matter of waiting for labor day weekend and off we go.

My only concern that was just brought to my attention about the recent discovery of fleas carrying the plague in AZ. My wife is a nurse and something like this, she takes really seriously and she is kinda wanting to cancel our trip that we have been planning since March.  Asking for help on getting reliable sources on current situation with the local peeps. Any insight or advise would greatly appreciate it, that way I can show this thread to my wife and hopefully we can still go on with our road trip.

I have taken some preventive action by buying highly recommended flea/tick bug spray not only for me n the wife but also for my son. Also changing our wardrobe on wearing pants and long sleeve shirts to lower the risk of getting bit.  I fell like im overdoing it, but I just want to make my fams first out of state road trip a trip to remember.

http://www.fleabites.net/plague-found-in-arizona-fleas-how-worried-should-you-be/

pinchel (Rob):
Just be smart, are you going to be camping out in rural areas? If you are, then stay away from road kill, wear repellent, protect your pets. Don't touch the living wildlife.

Pretty sure this is hyped up as the plague is technically everywhere. The Southwest gets a bad rap because of the higher number of cases that are reported. I think the odds are higher of you getting stung by a mosquito with West Nile.

Chuy:
Super hyped up, you are way more likely to be in a car accident. This fear mongering seems to pop up every now and then to make headlines. Hantavirus is another one that has been with us forever but gets hyped up now and again. If you really really want to take precaution treat all of your outdoor clothing with one of the kits they sell.

Edwin562:

--- Quote from: pinchel (Rob) on August 13, 2017, 05:03:59 PM ---Just be smart, are you going to be camping out in rural areas? If you are, then stay away from road kill, wear repellent, protect your pets. Don't touch the living wildlife.

Pretty sure this is hyped up as the plague is technically everywhere. The Southwest gets a bad rap because of the higher number of cases that are reported. I think the odds are higher of you getting stung by a mosquito with West Nile.

--- End quote ---

No camping, but are planning to do some decent hiking.

DBAX:
Just off MSN today-
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/the-plague-has-once-again-been-found-in-the-us/ar-AAq4yAf?li=BBnbfcL
You've got nothing to worry about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version