collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
[22] 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • Stephen: Folks, running Sedona next Saturday, then going to the muerte festival later that evening. Going up with a jeep buddy...family friendly
    Yesterday at 07:03:03 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: 2010 or newer. I like the charcoal center.
    October 20, 2017, 01:50:20 PM
  • Stoic V: I have a set of 4, off a 2012.  Which design/year are you looking for?
    October 20, 2017, 08:49:27 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    October 19, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    October 18, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    October 18, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    October 18, 2017, 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    October 18, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM

Author Topic: Choosing a Ham Radio  (Read 1361 times)

defibvt

Choosing a Ham Radio
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
So I swung by HRO today to take a look at Ham Radios.  What a decision to make.  I have decided on 4 to choose from.  2 mobile units and 2 handhelds.  Those of you (Brenda & Wall-E) who know radios please post up your opinions.  I am not posting prices since the price is relative to what you get and I am not posting all the bells and whistle since most of the time you adapt to what you have.

Yaesu FT-2900 R/E--mobile, 75 watts, 2 meter only

Kenwood TM-271A--mobile, 60 watts, 2 meter only

Yaesu FT-270 R/E--handheld, 5 watts, 2 meter only

Yaesu FT-60 R/E--handheld, 5 watts, Dual Band FM with wideband receiver coverage

With the handhelds I would being using an external antenna and cigarrette lighter power adapter.  I am leaning towards the last Yaesu  handheld because I feel that you can always use a handheld.  Let me know what you think .

Onix

Re: Choosing a Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
Brenda and i where talking about this and think you should get a
mobile unit .

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »
OOOOOOOK, here we go... Brenda's Advice:

Go Practical.

Knowing you Defib... and this includes others too... the reason why you got in to radio is because you recognized the benefits of it in regards to wheeling... i.e. more reliable truck-to-truck communications and more reliable "last resort" communications. So, for the best reliable truck-to-truck comms and for "last resort" comms, get a mobile. You’ll have the gain from the antenna (when you running a high gain) and have the power from the radio… you will not have these from the HT. Plus, you don’t have to worry about charging it. Plus, it won’t be bouncing all over the set as you wheel. And plus, the HT in the car is just a pain with all the cables hanging out of it (antenna, power, mic).

Get an HT as the next step for like hiking or whatever… but you will not use it as much as the mobile.

So, with that said… we are down to two choices from your list. I don’t know why you chose these two and I’m not going to bother doing the research to understand the options… cause at this point of the game, options don’t matter. They really are just pain in the butt to learn and program. All 2 meter radios already have the standard functions that you need to get on the air and play on repeaters.

When you become an old fart ham, then you can worry about options. Right now, worry about getting on the air, learning a lot and being the best operator you can be.

“I’d rather be a good operator on a cheap radio, then a crappy operator on an expensive radio.” I just made that up. LOL.

My advice: walk in to HRO and say, “I’m a new ham, what do you got on sale?” Get the cheapest radio on sale. Also, just pick up the cheapest antenna for wheeling right now. Your going to break it anyway, lol. Later you can see what others are using and why. Then you can take yourself and go buy a nice one. I have two, one for wheeling and one for prettiness/gain. You’ll also need to buy extra antenna cable and an antenna mount.

Now, I will say… I do have a duel bander with cross-band repeat and bla, bla, bla. But I’ve also been playing ham for many years. I’m very comfortable with these functions. It’s only after many years of activates, games and volunteering that I have learned to really appreciate these functions. I wouldn’t want a nubie to be turned off because of the pain of understanding all this. You don’t need it. I really don’t need. No one really needs it. But, at the time, I was in the market to buy a radio as an experience ham, so it made sense for me (AND NO, I'm not an old fart ham, that applies to men only anyway).

OK, so I broke down and called HRO to see if they had any “smashing deals” that we couldn’t live without. Not so much. But that’s ok, ‘cause I think the prices are really good anyway. They got the FT 1900 for $129.95. It looks very similar to Wally’s radio. This is what I would buy. The FT2900... the real only difference is the output. $30 difference for an additional 25W… oh heck, I don’t know, why not. But if it came down to it… spend your last $30 on a better antenna rather than on a better radio. You might not ever notice anyway… who knows.

Make sure you have lots of time when going to HRO. I ALWAYS spend hours there. And just calling them on the phone right now, I was chatting for like 15 minutes.

BTW… I guess I’m a real ham… my post is long winded.

defibvt

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
Thank you Brenda for doing the leg work.  I spent about 30 min at HRO speaking with and being schooled by one of the guys that works there.  He was nice enough to show me an antenna that doesn't need a ground plane.  I was interested in that.   I didn't see the FT-1900 so I am glad you called.  I do value your opinion albeit long winded  :o ;D.  Thanks for the input.

I am going to hold off on the handheld until I really can find a use for it.  Now I have to figure where to get the funds. 

MiniAPC

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »
I don't know anything about ham other than what I learned from watching Dukes of Hazzard all those years but Brenda your post was informative to me.

I know that most of the groups require you to have one if you got on ride with them so was good to get some recommendations out of the way.

Heck it may be funny just listening in to local stuff

defibvt

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:40 AM »
Actually Dukes of Hazzard used CB's, however CB's are nice for trail ridining but ham is well how should I put superior in quality of reception and distance for transmitting.