AZ Trail Info > Easy Trails 1.0-2.0

Sheeps Bridge

(1/1)

T-Ray:
Rating: 1.5-2.0
Vehicle Requirements: High clearance 2wd or stock Xterra's

A bumpy road that takes you through some beautiful Central Arizona landscape and ends at the historic sight. This part of the Verde River has been historically used by sheep herders to seasonally move their flocks between the high country and desert. The suspension bridge you can now cross was constructed in 1989 to replace the old bridge (built in 1943, remnants of which are visible nearby) which fell into disrepair. Access to the Verde River is available with a sandy beach and swimming area. Also accessable are the Sheeps Bridge Hot Springs, if you can find them.

The road is accessible from two different main thoroughfairs. FR-24 is an improved dirt road which runs through the Seven Springs recreation area. This road starts at the end of the Carefree Highway and is easily passable by passenger vehicles with 2 wheel drive. The intersection with FR-269 will be evident as they are the only two main thoroughfairs in the area.

FR-269 can also be accessed off of I-17 at the Bloody Basin Rd East exit. As you pull off the highway you will come to a dirt staging area with a description of the area. From here just continue heading East through some ranching country and you will eventually come out at Sheeps Bridge.

Shortly after the intersection of FR-269 and FR-24 the road becomes somewhat more bumpy and it would be wise to slow your vehicle down to a near crawl to avoid breaking loose any of your fillings. A passenger vehicle MAY make it down to the bridge, but it would be advisable to at least have some clearence between yourself and the ground.

Sheeps Bridge is located near 34 5'18.24"N, 11142'28.04"W.

AZ-Ted:
Sheeps Bridge is a great lunch destination on the Verde River.  In dry weather, this trail is accessible by all 4WDs and high clearance 2WDs.  In wet conditions, 2WDs will struggle - especially the last 10 miles of the trail to Sheeps Bridge.

The run to Sheeps Bridge can be combined with the Table Mesa Rd - East (FR41) run for a fun day of easy wheeling.  FR41 connects to FR24 (Cave Creek Rd) at approximately Mile Marker 16.

If you want a full day on the trails, go to Sheeps Bridge via FR24 (or FR41/FR24), and then head back to I-17 via Bloody Basin Rd (FR269).

AZ-Ted:
Bumping this trail description, as I'm going to do a run at the end of April.  This is a fun trail, and depending on conditions, 2WD may be able to tag along.

AZ-Ted:
I took a ride out to Sheep's Bridge on my ATV this weekend.  The trail is in very good shape and is easily passable in 2WD (in DRY weather).  Here is a picture of the area for those that haven't been yet:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version