AZ Trail Info > Moderate Trails 2.5-3.5

Coke Ovens

(1/1)

T-Ray:
Rating: 3.0
Vehicle Requirements: 31" tires, sliders, some suspension lift

The Coke Ovens trail is in the South East Florence Junction area. Entering from the north requires running Martinez Cabin or Box Canyon. The entrance is just south of the final turn off to Martinez Mine.
After leaving the Martinez Cabin trail, the terrain turns mostly to solid rock. Although there are a few dirt spots along the way, the majority of the trail provides perfect traction (at least while dry).
Small ledges here & there provide some optional airtime. There are a few small ledges that are not optional & must be negotiated.

The trail gets its name from several Bee-Hive shaped structures used to burn mesquite wood for producing Coke. The Coke substance was used as fuel for areas like Sunflower Mine in the production of mercury from cinnabar. The structures are at the far south end of the trail near the Gila river.

The return trip can be taken with a loop back north that bypasses about 1/4 the trail. There is a ledge on this return that can be difficult for an inexperienced driver. Alternatively you can cross the Gila River just south of the ovens. Although the flow here is usually quite low, use care when crossing!!

The trail is quite bumpy due to the rock base. Air down to help the ride quality!

Due to the remote location of the trail, and having to run other trails to get to the start, with a decent group this trip will take the majority of your day. BRING plenty of water!!!

Haof:

Buddy and I did this with stock Pro-4X's his hitch dragged in a few places but no damage to my skid plates or anything, we went trough box canyon. Other than 4 peaks and saguaro coves this was my first real run with my truck, it was about a month old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version