AZ Trail Info > Easy Trails 1.0-2.0

Butterfield Stage Route

(1/1)

T-Ray:
Rating: 1.5
Vehicle Requirements: high clearance 2wd SUV

A short, scenic section of the 2,800-mile mail, freight and passenger route trail (from Missouri to San Francisco) established by John Butterfield in 1857. Beautiful desert scenery with historic highlights along the way. Great for a two-hour (+/-) family run.

No rocks, just dirt trail and some loose sand/dirt along the way. Stock four-wheel drive vehicles will have no problem; two-wheel drive adequate most of the way when dry. Hardest part of trail is a small climb on dirt road; not an issue for stock SUVs (see attached photo). NOTE: Dangerously hot during summer months. Carry plenty of water and travel with at least one other vehicle.

Southwest of Phoenix between Maricopa and Gila Bend (about 50 minutes from Chandler).

A historic, scenic desert section of the Butterfield Stage Route inside the Sonoran Desert National Monument directly adjacent to a wilderness area. NOTE: It is imperative that you remain on the designate route at all times.

More than 12 miles off pavement. Allow 1 to 2 hours to make the trip, 3+ if you stop to have lunch and/or take photos/read about history.

Directions: From the intersection of Highways 347 and 238 just north of Maricopa, head west 25.4 miles on Hwy 238. Turn north on dirt road at National Monument sign (just east of mile marker 17). See page 225 in "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells for trail directions.

unamused:
BLM Closed this trail back in 2009 I believe, anyone know if it has been reopened?  Or anyone know a number I can call, or contact that can tell me if it's open?  All help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Alan

unamused:
Spoke with BLM and this trail is still closed, and no word on opening any time soon.   :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version