collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Anyone got some Pro 4x or Off Road trim line wheels laying around?
    Today at 12:37:41 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I mounted two yesterday and the other three will arrive today
    Yesterday at 11:01:10 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): pictures
    Yesterday at 09:38:53 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): These mud terrains look awesome
    Yesterday at 09:07:24 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got a good deal on the Mastercraft Courser MXT from work. I blew a tire and slided another at CANVAZ. My duratracs were getting low already so I jumped on the new tires. I stayed with the 285/75R16
    Yesterday at 09:06:53 AM
  • DBAX: 5 new tires is always fun. What'd you go w/ Kyle?
    Yesterday at 07:52:29 AM
  • XTiki: I'll clean the tent out next weekend.  ha
    October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): I got 5 new tires today
    October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Did you get it fixed?
    October 17, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
  • Hammer (Avi): It was a great weekend, we decided to stop in flag instead of going home, but now its back to work and real life
    October 17, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Coffee & Crawlers is every 2nd Saturday.
    October 16, 2017, 03:31:12 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Just finished unloading my X. Still smells like smoke.
    October 16, 2017, 10:05:42 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): CANVAZ was a blast still haven't fully unloaded the truck.
    October 16, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Got homenfrom CANVAZ at 730pm. Was so tired we all took a shower and went to bed. Now to unpack the X and clean it up. It was a great weekend. Thanks to all that attended. We didn't get a final rig count but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 26.
    October 16, 2017, 07:42:12 AM
  • Forrest: How often does coffee and crawlers happen?
    October 13, 2017, 04:00:15 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): First day of CANVAZ 2017!
    October 13, 2017, 06:41:09 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I was trying to get everything ready since Wednesday but couldnt get my rig aligned so friday morning it is for me. Ill post my actual departure to meet up with some of you guys
    October 12, 2017, 06:53:36 AM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Well I am now the owner of a 2nd Gen Xterra.
    October 12, 2017, 06:48:48 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Depends though, I'm waiting on some details before I can set a final departing time.
    October 11, 2017, 07:27:21 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): I plan to drive up no later than Friday morning.
    October 11, 2017, 07:26:49 PM

Author Topic: AZ Deployment Return M&G Xtravaganza! Jan 15-16 Montanna Mountain Loop  (Read 1314 times)

fangars

So, in Dec we have Matsayz and Deadpilot returning from proudly serving overseas, and I just want to say thanks guys. If there's more guys from our area returning, or guys from up in the PHX, or you just want to come out, let's do it!

I'm putting this out there early that way we can all agree on a weekend instead of last minute planning cause everybody knows how that turns out... I say Copper Creek east of Mammoth, AZ just for its proximity to town and ease for those with now lift or armor like myself, or those silly 4x2s, Jason! Although if you get you TS stuff on, it'll be one beastly 4x2!

So what say you AZ, let's welcome these guys home with some desert wheeling!

This has changed to wheeling in the Superior and Florence Junction area. Camping and wheeling both.

Any takers?

fangars

Re: AZ Deployment Return M&G Xtravaganza! Jan 15-16 Montanna Mountain Loop
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
Will be setting up camp Friday evening here.
Takes exactly 20 minutes to get from the 79 to the camp site, not 30 like the googler says.
Bring Firewood if you are coming.
B is the camp site btw

T-Ray

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
John, is the road to camp suitable for a tow rig/trailer? Is there enough room for me to park at or near camp?

Thanks for stepping up and choosing a location for this shindig  8)

fangars

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
People haul horse trailers to Rogers Trough trail head, there are some not so smooth moments such as the river bed and some of the dips but the west half of the loop that ends up at Rogers Trough is suitable for trailers. The site itself is big enough for several trucks and there will be plenty of room in the back, to the side, to the other side, or somewhere in the middle.

Here is a satellite image directly over top zoomed it all the way.
CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE
Here is a full size pano I made of the area last night. Click on the image for full size and look around.

Once you get to the turn off from Hewitt Station Road onto Hewitt Canyon Road, kind of tight there, there is immediately after the river bed. Now and then I see trailers parked right in the bed to the side, not where I would do it but I see them there from time to time.
Here is an image of the sign you see at that turn, some dude with a trailer is coming out at that moment.

There are some spots beyond the campsite that I would not drag a trailer full of anything up until they do some maintenance from the recent rain damage but that is past the switch backs, no switchbacks before the campsite, just a few dips after the river bed.

I was at my powder coaters today, right next to a huge lot of firewood where they sell the stuff and I forgot to see what they were selling fire wood for. I know we can get $5 bundles at any given gas station but perhaps $5 will go much farther at this place. Will check sometime soon.

T-Ray

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Way cool. Thanks for the info John.

How far from the campsite is the place where people drop horse trailers?
How rough is Hewitt Road? I guess another way to ask is could a sedan navigate it without damage? I ask because ideally I'd like to haul my rig all the way back so I can sleep in the truck bed.

T-Ray

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
Looks like there is a rock arch somewhere in Hewitt Canyon. Might be cool to go find it.

fangars

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
Way cool. Thanks for the info John.

How far from the campsite is the place where people drop horse trailers?

How rough is Hewitt Road? I guess another way to ask is could a sedan navigate it without damage? I ask because ideally I'd like to haul my rig all the way back so I can sleep in the truck bed.
I have a picture of the arch but I am never there at the right time to catch it in the best light so its not uploaded anywhere. I think its kind of small, definitely not the arches of Utah or even New Mexico.

12 miles in at Rogers Trough. Thats all the way up the switch backs on the West half of the loop. All of it could be driven by a Sedan up to that point as I remember it, there is some rough spots but not impassable as I remember them but the recent rains may have changed that. FS 172 is the West half of this loop, it seems to be better mantained, wider and flatter then FS 650, which is the East half which runs along the top of the mountain and then down some tight switchbacks and once down in the canyon it follows a stream bed which it enters and parallels back and forth. The closer the 650 gets back to Hewitt Station Road the smoother it gets, but it is the rough half and least scenic half. Its not that there is not much to see it just does not have the same scenery that the East half does.

To simplify my answer, a sedan can make it all the way to the camp site no problem, it would have to drive slow. I have seen sedans out that far, just not very often and I have never seen them as far as the eastern half switch backs.

I found this off some site about the Rogers Trough Trail, apparently you can hike it all the way to Roosevelt lake. That would be a hard core hike, for me anyways. This does not matter for our purposes but I thought it interesting.
6/2010 - CAUTION - As you pass through Cottonwood Canyon on the northern end of the passage, it will be very rocky and the tread often suffers from the effects of flash floods. The canyon corridor was cleared in early 2009, but the summer monsoons usually cause damage to the tread as it meanders from one side of the canyon to the other. It is passable by hikers using care; on occasion equestrians pass through, but the Forest Service does not recommend horse or bicycle traffic.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:44:24 PM by fangars »