collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • pinchel (Rob): Happy Holidays!
    Yesterday at 09:56:41 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Post up if you can meet up at Coffee & Crawlers tomorrow! Don't forget a new unwrapped toy to enter special drawing.
    December 08, 2017, 06:02:36 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: Has anyone done the Diamond Creek Road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?
    December 05, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
  • XterrasNameIsMolly (Justin): I have nothing to do, but I would be happy to assist / host a mod day if interested (south phoenix)
    December 05, 2017, 08:47:14 AM
  • DBAX: Picked up a pop up camper (used) this weekend, thinking an axle flip will be a good thing. Also thinking, I've never flipped an axle..
    December 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM
  • ShockBlue_Scott: I would be interested in a mod day and helping others. I have some Pro 4x suspension that needs to go in...
    December 04, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): I can try hosting a mod day in the east valley if we have some interested to help out
    December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): As soon as i get my bolts i can have a mod day
    December 01, 2017, 02:23:19 PM
  • m.sainz12: also whens the next mod day
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
  • m.sainz12: no not yet! he wont text me back :(
    November 30, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): Soon I will have all I need for a 2" body lift!
    November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): M.sainz12 you get your hat from Stephen yet?! lol
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:42 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): For a full length cargo rack?
    November 28, 2017, 07:34:18 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a good place to get a net for the roof that reaches front to back of the x?
    November 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson know a place to buy a net for the top of the x that reaches front to back?
    November 27, 2017, 12:07:30 PM
  • m.sainz12: anyone want a small palo verde tree?
    November 25, 2017, 06:11:27 AM
  • DBAX: Happy Thanksgiving maddafaqqas
    November 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM

Author Topic: The Rev Experience  (Read 24080 times)

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
Re: The Rev Experience
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
Massive list, nice looking rig so far. 
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
Merging them would be cool as long as I can still edit them afterward since it surpasses the 20k limit ;D

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
Thanks for helping me get this thread pieced together ;D

I think I've got everything in the front making sense now lol ;D

Offline remo1991(Brent)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
Nice wish list!!! just a little heads up once you finish that list it just keeps going & going & going. Sorry to tell you man once catch the X bug its all over. Ha ha. Rev what side of town to you live on maybe one of these day we could do a short Tucson run. 
T-swap / Snorkel

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
I'm central-east part of town right, Grant and Craycroft basically. But I'm packing up and getting ready to move and am not sure where I'm moving to yet. I was hoping to move to the west side in the Anklam area west of Silverbell... but nothing's up for rent in my price range there right now...

A friend of mine is trying to get me to rent her friend's house close to LaCanada and River, nice nice place, but just a little more than what I want to pay... It would be so nice though... But I need money to buy all the stuff on my list! ;D

...it does have a garage though... haven't had one of those in... ever...

Offline remo1991(Brent)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »
I'm Grant and Silverbell
T-swap / Snorkel

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
I'm definitely up for a Tucson run sometime soon. ;D We need to get a thread going and see who else in the area might be up for an initial Tucson members gathering.

Offline coatimundi01

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
As usual with my work schedule I can do Saturdays (not early morning) or Sunday all day. Just let me know when and where!
Wishin' I was fishin'...

Offline ERNurseScott

• So many mods, so little money!!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 05:15:41 AM »
Rev,
WOW! I love the mod want/done list...and the links paired up with the mod...genius!
Thanks for all the great info and the more pics the better!
Scott
2009 Night Armor Xterra S with a few minor mods so far
"34DMB41"
Go Gators!

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
Thanks a lot! ;D

I try to keep the links updated since most of those are where I plan to eventually buy the stuff I want too, but a lot of stores keep moving things around so much ><

I'll definitely keep posting pics and stuff as I get parts and install them ;D

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
Putting in a few of things I've done to my X here. The suspension work I've done so far has taken me down a few paths. Here's how it started:

Knowing I wanted about 2" of lift out of it I started with some PRG stuff:

PRG deaver spring AAL in the back
Bilstein 5125 rear shocks from PRG
Bilstein 5100 adjustable leveling shocks in the front
American Outlaw Shotgun wheels, 17x9 (We got the -10 offset to fit!)
Nitto Terragrappler 285x70-17

Here are all the pics:

To get the wheels to fit we did have to use the Melt Mod and get a little bit of trimming done. I was hoping there would have been enough room to get maybe an aftermarket deezee mudflap in there to take the place of the stock one, but the turn of the wheel at compression is close. It doesn't rub! But it gets close, lol!

Here are the closeups of where the trim happened:

Getting the parts from PRG turned into a bit more of a pain than I was expecting, it took some complaining and about four months to get everything in, but it was satisfactory.

Besides the trimming, the install was really straight forward. There are a few nuts at the top of the front shock mounts that are a PAIN to take off. Seriously, I still have some scars on the top of my hand from where it got smashed between a wrench and the UCA when the bolt finally gave way. At first I had tried adding spacers on top of the cheap Monroe shocks I bought my X with... I can't even begin to stress what a huge difference there were between the Bilsteins and those. At least for a good while.

The PRG How To by Tommyboy came in real handy while installing the spacers and the AAL - I definitely recommend, awesome photos!

So that lasted for about eight months and then the front end really started bouncing all over the place. I'm still not sure if it was that the front springs were worn after 150k miles and were tired from being preloaded by the adjustable shocks, or if the adjustable Bilsteins just wear out that quickly, but I decided to throw everything away and start over.

I went with a complete kit from Old Man Emu. The bounce was fixed in the front and the rear stopped bottoming out after every speed bump. Definitely upped my confidence driving it around, I used to get the slip sensor warning a lot as the truck tried to brake itself through curvy roads, but that stopped too and my gas mileage made a noticeable improvement.

What did happen is I lost some height.

Here are some stats I recorded for archival:

Old Setup:

Front -
Bilstein 5100 series leveling shocks (Set to 1.5" of lift)
Stock Springs
Rear -
Bilstein 5125 Series shocks (intended for 1-3" of rear lift)
Stock Leaf Spring Pack
PRG AAL

Height in inches:

FR: 15.25
FL: 15.125
RR: 16.5
RL: 16.25

New Setup:

Front -
OME Nitrocharger shocks
OME medium duty coil spring
Rear -
OME Nitrocharger shocks
OME leaf spring pack
OME Xtra Leaf
OME Greasable rear shackles

Height in inches:

FR: 15.0
FL: 14.625
RR: 16.0
RL: 15.5

So I lost between a quarter inch to half an inch all the way around.

Here are some comparison shots of how things look:

Front of the truck

Bilstein:

OME:

The front shock and coil spring

Bilstein:

OME:

And the rear shock and leaf springs

Bilstein:

OME:

You can kind of see the greaseable shackle up there too.

So that's my current setup and has been for about 4-5 months. It's worked well and I sure hope it stays that way ;D

Next stop in the suspension journey... Titan Swap... /joy ;D

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
So when I bought the truck it already had the Calmini tire carrier bumper installed on the back. And the dealership sold it to me without any lights on the license plate.

The other weird thing about where the plate was located here is that it blocks one of the... recovery points? No... those are too thin to be recovery points... they're tabs of some kind... Anyway! License plate covered the one on the passenger side which seemed like an odd design.

So I finally got pulled over one night for not having lights on the license plate, and fortunately the officer was nice enough to accept my story that I bought the truck from the dealer that way without them, and I got away with a warning not to drive around at night without getting lights put on.

The idea crossed my mind of lighted bolts, but that would have required a lot of drilling and creative pass throughs to get them through the swing out arm. Moving the plate down to the actual bumper wasn't ideal because to get it under the swing out arm would have made the plate hang lower than the bumper and become a potential clearance hazard.

After spending some time on the Internet I was able to come across this GenRight LED Lighted License Plate Frame: 4wd.com

And yeah, I like LED lights and am hoping to change out the tail lights sometime soon. So I went ahead and ordered it.

The tricky part of getting this thing installed on the Calmini bumper was running power to it. LED lights fortunately run on really thin wires typically. So my dad and I decided to drill through the arm and into the bumper around the hinge. It took some play, but we were able to get the wires all the way through.

Our real professional wiring job:

We used a couple of heat shrink tubes to support the wires where they'd be flexing with the arm opening and closing. Would have been nice if both shrink tubes were black... but turned out we only had the one, and it was a Sunday which meant every hardware store in Douglas was closed - It's all fixed now though that the black out was done.

So I did technically install this thing upside down. But that's so that there was as little exposed wire as possible, and so that the recovery point I mentioned earlier could be accessed.

It looks alright, is completely AZ legal (I almost bought a different license plate cover but it looked like it would have covered part of the state name on the plate which we can't do now because of the stupid traffic camera laws), and that was the last bit of dealership branding too.

At night it's not too bright. But I wasn't wanting something that would light up the night, just something that would keep my X street legal.

Definitely something I'd recommend for someone switching to an aftermarket bumper. ;D

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
The license plate lighting wasn't the only problem the Calmini bumper has.

The bumper has a pretty heavy duty looking hitch built into it, but there were no loops or brackets for emergency tow chains, nor was there a place to mount any kind of light adapter kit.

So my dad and I decided to fab something up.

Working with what we had we decided to base the design off of the safety chain attachment point on his Dodge Ram. It looks something like this

We started off by finding a good piece of angle iron, about 4" by 4"

And used a plasma cutter to follow the pattern we drew to the shape of the connectors on the Ram. We ran into a few problems like the bracket in the center that supports the hitch and bumper hanging down a little ways.

I didn't want to cut into the support on the truck so decided instead to cut the bracket and leave two tabs that would reach for the bolts and line up with the plate in the back better..

Kind of an afterthought we realized we needed a light wiring kit and a place to mount it. We went out and found this dual outlet kit which seemed pretty cool:
PPLMotorHomes

The stock Xterra hitch has a 7 wire adapter, but most small trailers (mine from Lowes included) come with a 4 wire plug on them. So a dual outlet kit seemed like an ideal solution to have both styles of adapters on one harness.

So then we welded a tab to the side real quick and drilled it so the adapter would have a place to sit properly. I don't have a trailer with a 7 wire plug, but I can vouch that the 4 wire end works great.

Finally threw some black paint on it and everything ended up kind of nice and tucked away under the bumper. Here are the rest of the shots.

Offline Rev

• Rev & VP of AZXC
  • Rev Rev, Vroom Vroom
    • StreetQuest
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
So I was down in Douglas for most of Winter Break, and here is what I was doing.

I spent all that time with my dad at his place without Internet, but that gave me time to get most of the bedlining done that I wanted on my X! Here's how it went down:

Probably the worst idea when taking on a project like this is to start with the front and work your way back, so that's exactly what I did!  ::)

Without really knowing what I was getting into, I took off the front bumper cover and grille and got to work.

Doesn't the X look all beastly while it's being worked on? :biggrin:

With this piece a lot of work was put in to manually sanding it by hand with 220 grit paper and then pressure washing it down before wiping it all off with Acetone.

It was a lot of work and left some pretty deep scratches which are actually still visible if someone were to look closely at it. But it was the first piece to go through the process, so we hung it up and whipped out the Rustoleum Bedliner.

The Bedliner didn't fill in all the scratches, but it's hard to tell if you don't know it's there. The texture still came out looking really good I think.

So the advice to people who follow... start with something smaller and less conspicuous first so that you'll have your groove down by the time you get to the major and more noticeable parts.

So next was taking off the rest of the pieces up for bedlining which included the roof rack.

The roof rack is a PITA to take apart. The screwdriver included with the tire jack under the back seat is great for getting the rack off the roof, but then it's a different size torque bit (a smaller one at that) that's needed to take the metal bars off the plastic brackets. The screws are secured with locktite, so in applying enough pressure to turn the tiny little torque screws they instead just stripped out completely and never let go. So rather than risk leaving the roof rack bars hanging loose I decided to go ahead and paint them all as a single piece.

After all the time my dad and I put into the front bumper cover to only get mediocre results we decided that was enough of that and pulled out the sand blaster.

The Xterra really does look kind of weird without the rack on it.

Underneath the basket was so much gunk. Years of ick from parking under trees and driving through Arizona dust storms had just collected under this thing and looked like a family of rats were living there. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have gotten a pic of the nest looking thing before I cleaned it off, oh well ;D

I can't help staring at these pictures while thinking, "It looks so... bald..."

I'm also thinking the next time I take my truck down to my dad's place that I might take the roof rack off again and bedline the whole roof black. There are some deep scratches in the paint on the roof from where bike pedals have scraped against it while being strapped to the top... Wonder how that happened  ::) So that might be an alternative to help make the whole roof more durable to stacking stuff on it. Definitely thinking about it...

I wasn't sure if the door panel guard trim things and the side steps were going to go back on while I was taking them off. (My mom is really short and gets upset without having the step to help her up into the cab)

Unfortunately the tape holding the trim on did not want to come off easy. I tried using three different types of adhesive remover including 3M's brand of tape remover and we just weren't getting anywhere. Finally we resorted to prying the trim pieces off the door panels. Unfortunately that meant that once we finally got the piece off it left quite a few bad scratches behind. I hate tape...

At this point we almost had everything removed from the truck. Just the rear bumper remained.

By this time the front grille was sanded up, painted, and ready to go back on.

The chromey Nissan emblem burger didn't much like being sandblasted. It almost took off the whole "NISSAN" indentation and smoothed it out. I think it looks fine the way it is though.

The X definitely looked more aggressive without the step bars. With them on you can barely tell that it has a 2" lift. Without them though it looks more like it can run over stuff... So I told my mom that my dad and I "accidentally" broke them while we were taking them off ;D But not to worry, it'll have "steps" again once I get rock sliders on it! 

Oh right, the bumper. I actually debated for a while whether to go through and paint the bumper since I really want to get some customizations fabbed on to it soon. I figure though when the time comes I can just sandblast the whole thing to the bare metal then bedline it again once it's done which shouldn't be much of a problem.

The bumper was powder coated from the factory company that made it, so we decided to just clean it off really good and paint it as it was.

The bumper took the paint fine and matched up with the rest of the bedlined parts.

Everything was starting to come together so I took a last shot of the X without a hat on...

And then the rack was put back together.

If it wasn't for the scratches left by removing the door moldings, I might have left it this way.

The rear bumper parts also went back on without a problem.

And then the molding trim was bedlined and taped back into place.

The pieces that didn't get bedlined that I still want bedlined would include the door handles, side mirrors, windshield wiper cowel, and the chrome emblems... and maybe the whole roof.

A few days later it was rained and snowed on but it held up fine. The Rustoleum is good stuff.

Made it back to Tucson, everything held together, and it's looking awesome! Now that it's all cured up I can go scratch it some more ;D

And that's it for now, hopefully more will be done soon. ;D

Offline Hammer (Avi)

• Club President
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
Nice job, looks great!
PRG Advanced lift
Xoskel Sliders and Roof Rack
Full skids