General Discussion > Recalls

Warranty Extension (2nd Gen SMOD Related)

(1/3) > >>

Rev:
Hey everyone, just some news to share today. I got a letter from Nissan corp in the mail today in regards to a "Warranty Extension Notification"

Here's the gist of it:

--- Quote ---Nissan previously extended your vehicle's New Vehicle Limited Warranty as it applies to the radiator assembly and its component parts from 3 years/36,000 miles to 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first.
--- End quote ---

What follows is some information regarding the SMOD problem some 2nd gen Xs with automatic transmission develop...

--- Quote ---Nissan is pleased to announce an additional extension of the coverage of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty on the radiator assembly, subject to certain customer co-pays that vary with age/mileage above 8 years/80,000 miles, to 10 years/100,000 miles (whichever occurs first). This extension covers the radiator and component parts, and includes damage, repairs, replacement and related towing resulting from this issue.

With the additional extention, the following warranty coverage will now apply:

-Up to 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first, extended warranty coverage applies with no customer co-pay

-After 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first, up to 9 years/90,000 miles, whichever comes first, extended warranty coverage applies with customer co-pay in the amount of $2,500.

-After 9 years/90,000 miles, whichever comes first, up to 10 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first, extended warranty coverage applies with customer co-pay in the amount of $3,000.
--- End quote ---

So my Xterra is already well beyond the mileage for this to apply to, but anyone else out there worried about the Strawberry Milkshake of Death with less than 100,000 miles on your vehicle now have some factory protection even if it's not completely covered.

More information can be found at: NissanAssist.com

sunny1881:
Its funny because I am less than 8 years and 80,000 miles now but already did the bypass (basically saving Nissan's a**), but I almost want to have the SMOD right now, to get a new radiator and tranny installed and then do the bypass with the new stuff installed.

Rev:
Haha, and seeing how I'm at 150k+ miles with no indication of it ever having had a SMOD replacement, I probably should consider doing the bypass ;D

I'm hopeful that Nissan's Matic-S recommendation does what it's supposed to though and keeps this thing going for a good while to come.

sunny1881:
You need to do the bypass STAT!

The tranny fluid Matic S or J has nothing to do with it. The bottom of the radiator will rot out over time allowing radiator fluid to mix in the tranny fluid that flows through the bottom of the radiator and of course then travels into the tranny itself, making the milkshake of death. With 150k I would do the bypass right away, its only a matter of time for you and the SMOD takes a little time to mix up good and shut the tranny down, before you know its even going on the tranny is done and you are a sitting duck, out around $5k from I here.

paintsnow:
5k is on the cheap side...

And the work is a huge _____ use your imagination.

Basically it probably wouldn't be worth doing the work if you look at how much your truck is worth based on the market value...

Trust me, its easier to swap hoses then replace the tranny. And the way nissan engineered the truck, basically the exhaust has to go from passenger headers back, and there is no room to reach bellhousing bolts. No fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version