collapse

Donate

Become a 2017/18 AZXC Supporting Member just Click the Donate button.

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Upcoming Events

* Newest Member

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
goto AZXC

Go To AZXC

goto AZTC

GoTo AZFC

GoTo AZPC

Forum Chatbox

Refresh History
  • remo1991(Brent): I'm in Tucson always looking for something to do
    November 18, 2017, 07:52:12 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): New Club patches are coming soon...pics just posted! Who wants some?! [link]
    November 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM
  • pinchel (Rob): There's a few members in Tucson, but not sure what their availability is.
    November 17, 2017, 10:44:00 AM
  • cjohan: anyone in tucson? need to do the bypass but would rather have help then do it myself
    November 15, 2017, 07:43:18 PM
  • HBIII: Thanks, I will check them out
    November 12, 2017, 02:40:02 PM
  • Thupertrooper (Victor): Phx rack and axle has lifetime replacement on there rack and pinions.
    November 12, 2017, 10:44:55 AM
  • pinchel (Rob): Sounds like your replacement rack was bad.
    November 12, 2017, 08:28:27 AM
  • HBIII: The assembly is leaking in both sides and the boots on the inner tie rods are both ripped open leading them to believe it is all related. Sorry I'm not the best with suspension knowledge
    November 10, 2017, 03:14:54 PM
  • cjohan: inner tie rods?
    November 10, 2017, 02:18:28 PM
  • HBIII: Inner tie rods
    November 10, 2017, 02:11:18 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): fans are controlled by the coolant temp. When coolant temp is above specified temp the fans will come on.
    November 10, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
  • cjohan: anyone have there fans come on with engine? a/c and heat off
    November 10, 2017, 01:19:49 PM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): where exactly did it fail?
    November 10, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
  • HBIII: The factory rack failed at 48k miles and now the replacement just failed at 71k miles and I don't know why
    November 10, 2017, 06:41:15 AM
  • PitSnipe (Kyle): Elaborate "eat steering assembly"
    November 10, 2017, 03:53:49 AM
  • HBIII: Preferably in the valley. Thanks
    November 10, 2017, 12:21:39 AM
  • HBIII: Anyone have recommendation for someone that can diagnose an issue causing my X to eat steering assemblies?
    November 10, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
  • Forrest: Charouleau gap is a fun but difficult trail I try to go up there once a month
    November 09, 2017, 07:46:05 AM
  • 14Frontier: I have been up to kiss rock on the gap
    November 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
  • remo1991(Brent): Yup fun trail
    November 05, 2017, 07:00:20 AM

Author Topic: Onix gots a new Ham Rig... Watch out!  (Read 5823 times)

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
Onix gots a new Ham Rig... Watch out!
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
Onix is on fire now! He's studying his butt off!
Go Onix!

Who's next!

gumybob

Re: Onix gots a new Ham Rig... Watch out!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
Wish I could say ME... but my job just changed and I have 13 new technologies to learn (xDSL Platforms), so my study time is kinda used up.  Should have started this 2 months ago, back then I had 6 hrs a day to learn whatever I wanted (or post stuff all day long).   But I do have a goal to be HAM'd by the end of the year.

Onix

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:03:54 AM »
And i owe it all to DZRT GRL .
Thank you  ;)

Onix

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »
20-Jul-2009
Sponsor: EAST VALLEY VE TEAM
Time: 6:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
(480)643-0033
Email: KJ7WK@COX.NET
VEC: ARRL/VEC
640 N MESA DR
MESA, AZ 85201

This will be my big day. If anybody would like to take the test post up.
Be there or be square! ;D Onix

defibvt

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
Good luck Onix.

Killing4aliving

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »
Good luck. I'll be doing the same in the near future. Ordering the radio next week hopefully.

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
I think Wally getting a radio was a great idea. I gave him an old CB mag mount and told him to go figure out how to make it work on 2 meters so he could listen. And he did (no figure out, no listen). It's almost like he feels that he has a reason to learn and experiment. Getting a radio ready to listen takes a bit of figuring out (i.e., the mobile install, figuring out an antenna, knowing what freqs to scan, understanding repeaters, understanding protocol). All that makes you ask even more questions and that reinforces the ideas. I think playing with the radio, experimenting and listening has all been a great contributor in getting him ready to be successful on the test and successful on the air. Forcing your head in a study book to memorize the question pool may not be the best way for everyone to learn (meaning that different people learn different ways).

Also, what I think is a big help is Gordo's Audio Book on CD (Gordon West's Radio School).  Wally's been listening to it in the truck while driving to and from work. I listened to a few chapters yesterday while in his truck and I liked it. I thought it was even kinda of fun.

In the end... I think it will be that much more meaningful to him, taking the test and getting his first call. Cause he sees the radio in his truck, he listens to it all the time. And I know he's itchin to introduce himself and talk to the people he hears every day, he finds them so interesting. But he can't. Not yet. But the first times he throws out his new call and people come back to him, it’ll all be worth it. It'll be a different kind of respect, not just a newbie respect, but a smart newbie respect. He'll be well liked.

It's like kind waiting to fall in love till you have... never mind.
GO WALLY!   KF7D??

defibvt

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:50:55 AM »
Where did you get the study materials?  What did it cost?  I am about as confused as you can get when it comes down to understanding this Ham Radio stuff.  It seems to be way over my head. 

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »
You feel that it's over your head ‘cause you haven't gotten your feet wet!  ;D
This hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want (just as with any hobby).
Don't let the cost turn you away. If this is something you are interested in, then you can make it happen. As with most hobbies, once you shell out the initial cost, your good to go.

I picked up Wally's Yaesu 2 Meter mobile for about $130. It is a bear bones basic model and is being discontinued.  My thinking was just to get him listening to something and then he can go later when he figures out what he likes (he might not even like 2 meters, you never know).
The antenna mount... free ‘cause I found it in the garage and gave it to him. The copper welding rod he used for a whip, free too. He will need to get a real mount and antenna later before transmitting. My trunk lip mount was $80 and the little "low profile trail antenna" was $10. I also have a high gain Diamond antenna that I think was about $100, but I bought that long ago.
I got the Gordo Audio Book from HRO Phoenix for about $30 bucks and an AARL course book for $20 bucks.

I'd suggest that you stop by and see Wally. Have his show you how he set his radio up and ask him about what his as been learning.  I'm sure that Wally would be more than happy to share and chat... a sign of a real ham.

defibvt

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Oh I know I want it.  As for learning, I can learn anything.  My motivation comes from a night run I was on with Higherground 4x4 on Friday.  We had 4 Jeeps break or not able to go any further do to trail conditions.  We got all 4 out.   The last one I helped with had children with him.  Granted they were older kids at 16 but children nontheless.  The Ham used a phone patch and was able to have his brother meet us at the trailhead.  His brother took the kids home.  I followed and he and I returned with replacement tie rod.  That to me was absolutely enough evidence the the cost is very relevant. 

Oh btw, we didn't get the truck out and  us home until 0800.  The other members of the group were home by 0230.  So you see I already know the value of having your ticket.  Thanks for all the info.  I do appreciate it.

defibvt

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »
Well, I can't take my test until Oct 20th.  So time to put down the study materials for awhile.  I know the stuff well though and I am passing practice exams with better than 80%.  Of course, I am taking the exams while at work in the middle of the night.

Thanks Wally and Brenda for the motivation and encouragement.  Gotta thank Scooby from the Higherground 4x4 forums for showing the practical side of Ham.

Onix

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
If you need any help i will try to help as best as i can Scott and i 2 also want to give a BIG thank you to Brenda as she has been a Big help and motavator in this task at hand .Today will be my big day for the test.Altho i have not had as much time to study i did crunch alot of study time on the computer at qrz.com testing lab.This was all done in two weeks so i would or could try to get my cert for Fat Tire .If not it will give me more time to study .I did well on the tests with some trial and error but not bad.

Again a BIG thanks to Brenda .

defibvt

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
Good luck tonite.  Take your time.  It is all a waiting game for me now.

Offline DZRT

• MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
Well, I can't take my test until Oct 20th. 
WHY?   :-\

You really want this... If this is what you want to do... you should make it happen (before you lose steam).
You should take just a few hours from work one evening, take the test, then jam over to work. Shoot, tell them you gots' diarrhea or something and you have to wait for it to pass before coming in to work. Who in their right mind would question that???

Scott's Boss: Why you late!?
Scott: Cause I gots the chits. Bad mayo.
Scott's Boss: I want proof.
Scott: OK then...

defibvt

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
I would so love to do that.  My shift starts at 1845.  No worries.  I am not going to lose steam.  I know this stuff.  If I had the night off tonite I would be in Mesa taking it with Wall-E.

Copyright ©2015 Arizona Xterra Club The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site. All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of the Arizona Xterra Club, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.